Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:49:01 PM

Author Topic: Some Newfangled Mill Wizard issues  (Read 13289 times)

Re: Some Newfangled Mill Wizard issues
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 06:00:16 AM »
Hi Ron

Glad you are making progress. The attached is a simple inside rectangle similar to the ones that gave me grief previously.  There is an unwanted inner helix which appears to be used to set the height of each level of the rectangle. Of course the cut should only be along the rectangular path.

One further issue I've had is that the Z feed rate is invariably used during XY movements. I forgot to mention this last time.

Allan
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »
The inner helix is because you requested a tool ramp angle of 30 degrees. We make that ramp a helix is the smoothest way to plunge into work. If you change the ramp angle to 90 the tool will go straight down. Be sure you have a center cutting tool if you do that. The ramp into the work starts at the clearance height specified for the job. It needs to be above the work, but to high and you do some air cutting before the tool gets to he surface.

Your example does point out a problem with the machine max settings-  I don't check the units so assume your max is set to the same units as your job. I should work on that.

I thought I had fixed the feed rate along the path, I will look at that.

thanks for the example,  it always helps to see an example of a reported problem.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
Ron

Maybe I misunderstand, but I chose an inner rectangle, not a pocket, so assumed that the toolpath  would follow the inside of the line, leaving everything inside this path uncut. As it happened, I was clearing out some material around a small spigot, and the spigot would have been cut away by the helical ramp.

Surely the ramp should simply follow the line of the rectangular cut.

Allan
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »
Ok, that is a reasonable view. I assumed that if you were cutting inside the line you wanted to leave the outline so I could clear out anything inside. Likewise for outside I do the ramp outside the part.

Sounds like you want a grove cycle, which does make only a grove, not going inside or outside. It does a zig-zag ramp on the line of cut.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
Ron

We seem to have differing expectations. I assumed that inside, groove, and outside were essentially the same and merely offered the convenience of the user not having to allow for tool radius when sizing the path. This is what seems to be the case with the polygon tool, and I am at a loss as to see why the rectangle uses a different approach. Anyway, I now have a much better understanding of your way of doing it.

By the way, I tried selecting groove, leaving everything else unchanged,  and got a rather strange looking toolpath.

Allan