Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:05:49 PM

Author Topic: Using a CNC Controlled Vertical Mill as a Lathe  (Read 1653 times)

Using a CNC Controlled Vertical Mill as a Lathe
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
You will find many fine examples of people using their CNC mills as lathes. But finding the details of how they did it is not so common. The part I cut is far from impressive, but this is not all bad. It means I needed to write only a few lines of  G-code. Details of the fixturing and code are presented.

If you are interested, please see

http://rick.sparber.org/LMCN.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

If you wish to receive future article announcements automatically, please send me an email with “Article Alias” in the subject line.

Thanks,

Rick
Re: Using a CNC Controlled Vertical Mill as a Lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
That list of people doing it would also include Renishaw as described in a machine shop magazine some years ago. They came to the conclusion a VMC could do the milling and most of the lathe work more economicly than any other method. Without a robot and just a custom pallet changer it could load and unload both parts and tools from a pallet.

I personally produced lots pulleys used with hoses up to about 12" diameter on a bridgeport size CNC mill  I had a tool block bolted to the table with an Aloris Lathe toolpost.

I just finished a similar tool block to hold an Aloris tool lost on our much larger CNC bed mill at work. I am also  machining a Cat40 tooling block so I can use some of the 50 holders we have with taper drills, boring bars and such. I already have adapted a Cat40 shell mill holder to mount a 5" 3 jaw chuck on the spindle, and we have collets from 1/8" to 1-1/4" for small stuff.

A few weeks ago I machined 32 aluminum stanchion bases for my sailboat from 6061 aluminum. I did the threaded mounting hole first then used a threaded arbor to hold them in the spindle. I used the CamBam lathe programming to produce the G-code and it worked really great.

This is really a workable concept, think gang tooled lathe and tilt your head to the right while looking at the mill if it makes you feel better!