Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:16:04 AM

Author Topic: Nothing seems to work!  (Read 8087 times)

Nothing seems to work!
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
Hi and thanks for having me!
I'm completely new to this lark so forgive me if my questions seem dumb
Trying to get a 3020 machine to work to carry out simple engraving but having NO joy at all. (machine control as pictured)
I've installed Mach3 on a Dell Dimension running XP and installed a parallel port add on card (drivers all installed correctlly).  I've looked in the bios and there is NO OPTION to change the setting of the port to EPP, it's recognized by the machine as "ECP"
I've looked at all of the Chinglish manuals and tutorials i can find for the pin settings and entered and saved each axis and also configured the Estop button as shown, stopped the Estop button flashing and ensured the jog button is green but despite the fact the digits on the display move using the arrow keys the machine head will not move.
I've been into device manager and enabled legacy support and this produces a "clunk" from the machine but nothing else.
Firstly - please tell me i am right in assuming this setup needs to be done after selecting the "Mach3mill" icon and not the other Mach3 icon?

I'm pulling my hair out here just trying to get the machine to do ANYTHING!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing seems to work!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:17:47 AM »
Firstly - please tell me i am right in assuming this setup needs to be done after selecting the "Mach3mill" icon and not the other Mach3 icon?

Quite right.

Check that you have the correct Port Address ( in your case DCB0 ) for Port#1 and that it is enabled.

Do your stepper motors 'lock-up' when everything is up and running or are they free to rotate by hand ??

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:53 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
I reset my port address in Pins and ports to read 0xDCB0 (that's whats shown when I look at the resources tab in Device manager)  Now it recognizes whe I hit the manual Estop button which it never did before but there's still no movement of the milling head.  When powered up the motors cannot be rotated by hand.

Thanks

Dave
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:43:05 AM »
I have no values entered in the "Input settings" tab is that correct?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:50:22 AM »
Hi Dave,

You are making progress.  ;)

At this stage the only entry you need in Inputs is the E-Stop config. (otherwise E-Stop cannot be reset).

Can you attach your Mach3Mill.xml file (located in the Mach3 folder). Copy it and rename it to cyberdave.xml then use the Additional Options... to attach to your post.

This will allow me to test your Mach3 settings and hopefully suggest a solution to the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:00:50 AM »
Hope this is what you wanted!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
That's the right one.  :)

Whilst I am checking the settings could you check your LPT parallel port cable with a meter (or similar) to ensure that Pin 1 is connected to Pin 1 and Pin 2 to Pin 2 etc. (not every cable has turned out to be good).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
Checked and all correct!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »
OK, now try this…

Config / Ports & Pins / Output Signals...

Enable1 – Enabled – Port#1 – Pin14

And report back on if it makes any difference.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »
Done - no change