Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:02:48 AM

Author Topic: Probe is triggered, but movement doesn't stop  (Read 3090 times)

Probe is triggered, but movement doesn't stop
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
Over the past couple weeks I've noticed that occasionally when I'm probing something, the light showing the probe as active comes on when it makes contact, but the machine doesn't stop moving in that direction.  This happened with increased frequency until yesterday, when it started happening every time.  This happens when probing on any axis, not just Z.  

I use Big Tex's probing screenset and also the ProbeIt wizard.  Neither has been edited.

Yes, I have limit switches, and yes, they work correctly.

I have already gone over the entire wiring setup from start to finish.  I replaced every piece of wire going to the probe, and made sure that the new wires are properly tinned and all terminal connections are tight.  None of that was the problem.  (I didn't expect it to be - the LED on screen lights up correctly, but the wires were a little ratty.)

I've already started a new profile from scratch, and it exhibits the same behavior.

I've already tried changing the probe to a different pin.  Didn't help.

I have an ESS and G540, with a SuperPID spindle controller.  Mach is version 3.043.062.  XML file is attached.

If anyone has any suggestions to offer on this one, I'd be incredibly grateful.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Probe is triggered, but movement doesn't stop
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »
Seeing as the ESS itself handles teh probing  you will need to talk to Them. 

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
Are you sure that you're using 3.043.062? This seems to be a common issue with .066.
If you for sure are using .062, make sure you have the latest ESS plugin.
Someone just a few days ago resolved this with .062 and a new plugin.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:01:54 PM »
Yep, it's definitely .062, as recommended in the setup instructions for the ESS.  (The ESS is a recent addition to my system.)

Not sure what happened, but the situation seems to have resolved itself.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:14:47 AM »
if you are using the older Big Tex's probing screen set if what you are probing is less than 25 mm / 1 inch from home this will happen in his new one he was meant to fix this problem.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 03:37:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I figured out what the problem actually was.

Let's just say that when Warp9 says not to screw around with using multiple monitors, they're really not kidding.

Anyway.  That was the least of my frustrations today.  I had a lot more fun getting PWM to work.  It went far more smoothly once I decided to go through port 2 of the ESS and just use actual PWM instead of dealing with the G540 and it's VFD output signal.  By 2330 on Saturday I was able to finally start the first cut on a part that should have been finished by about 0730 on Friday.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 04:45:50 AM »
the signal from the G540 is 0 to 10

ANALOG OUTPUT: This is a 0V to +10V opto-isolated analog output intended for use with VFD drives. VFD OUT goes to 0VDC while the G540 is disabled. Connect VFD GND, VFD OUT and VFD +10V to the VFD drive inputs. Make sure the VFD drive positive voltage does not exceed +12VDC. Do not short VFD OUT to any other terminal. Do not reverse polarity to VFD GND and VFD +10V or the G540 may be damaged.

the superpid can run on both the 0 to 10 or PWM it's in the manual.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:48:33 AM by blockhead »
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 05:04:42 AM »
Yes, I know that the G540 can theoretically output a 0-10 signal.  Mine, however, seems only able to put out a .032 to .209 signal.  After about 18 hours or messing with it, I gave up and put the SPID on port 2.  I have perfect, spectacularly accurate control in a range from 4995 to 5007 rpm.  By contrast, PWM straight to the SPID from port 2?  Took five minutes t set up, and it works flawlessly.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »
Well, the problem wasn't what I thought it was, but I didn't actually get it solved for real until today.

My router (ESS + G540 + Super PID) wouldn't probe well at all. My mill (ESS + C10 + VFD) had no problem probing.

The difference? Router was running on a Windows 10 computer, and the mill was running on Windows 7.

Mill started having issues with probing the other day, after--quite coincidentally--the motherboard in my windows 7 box gave up the ghost and I swapped it for a slightly-less-old Windows 10 machine.

Light finally clicked today, and I went digging in that direction. Turns out that after the Windows 10 v1803 patch, Warp9 released a patched version of the .062 executable for Mach3 to resolve some DLL access issues that were preventing Mach3 from starting. This also seems to have had the side effect of fixing the problem with probing and G31 commands.

Anyone who comes across this when searching for a fix, go to the link below and download Warp9's version of the executable. Swap that out for the original one, and I'd be willing to bet that the problems disappear.

https://warp9td.com/index.php/sw/software-mach#MachThree