Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:07 PM

Author Topic: Can other software be causing Mach3 cutting 'lag' issues?  (Read 4233 times)

Can other software be causing Mach3 cutting 'lag' issues?
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this please:  Is it possible for other software running to cause a sort of 'lag' for Mach3 issuing commands to the drivers?

I'm running the Mach3 2010 screenset on Windows XP out via Parallel to a BOB with drivers etc attached.  Everything has been running fine and then today whilst jogging the Z down (via keyboard), the Z continued going and dug the cutter into the bed after I'd let my finger off.  The spindle wasn't running so fortunately the stepper stalled otherwise I would have been in a world of hurt!  I figured it was just maybe a USB keyboard glitch but then whilst cutting (which was going fine) it seemed to make a grinding noise, didn't move very far (it wasn't jammed, it was still cutting:  it appeared to be being 'commanded' to make the move) and then continued cutting a nice smooth curve as if nothing had happened!  In fact it was cutting a fresh offset curve (because it had lost it's position) with a much deeper DOC (16mm vs the 6mm I usually cut at!).

I was wondering if Mach3 sent the commands and they got somehow delayed, or lost, before getting to the drivers?  Could another program (I had Chrome open on the computer!) be causing Windows to lag somehow and lose commands?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Can other software be causing Mach3 cutting 'lag' issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
Most likely yes!

Chrome is a serious memory/CPU hog and will likely upset Mach3 completely.

The only good setup is a clean one, especially no internet connection and preferably no ethernet at all as even a disconnected socket can cause issues.

Shut down ALL programs except Mach and try again, chances are all will be well.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 02:35:35 PM »
Wow thanks Dave, that instills some confidence that I was thinking along the right lines - turning the internet off is a really good idea too.  I'll give it a try with a fresh mind and my fingers crossed!

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »
Its no guarantee but its always a good place to start debugging an issue with a clean platform and work upwards.

Good luck

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »
If you have a marginally powered PC, the large toolpath in the 2010 screenset can cause some lag if you have a large g-code file loaded (200,000+ lines of code).

But yes, many programs running along with Mach3 can interfere with it's operation.

On older PC, a clean installation of XP with SP3, and nothing else, should run Mach3 just fine on even 10 year old PC's.

I have my control PC on my home network for transferring files, but have never opened a browser or email program on it, and don't install anything that checks for updates on it's own. Be sure to turn off automatic uodates in Windows, as you don't need any of them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:07:43 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 04:30:15 PM »
Do a search on the forum for "optimisation" or "optimization". Should give you a little insight into installing XP for Mach3. Here is one:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,30566.0.html

Keith.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »
With a clean install of XP, you shouldn't need to do any "optimization".
The one exception is ACPI or Standard, which is ideally done in the bios before installing windows.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
To update in case anyone finds this thread useful in the future:  I have run the machine some more and not witnessed the same problem again.  This was after uninstalling all unnecessary software including Google Chrome and unplugging the USB wireless network adapter.

It does leave me to believe it was the computer 'dropping' signals somewhere along the line causing the machine to either stutter or continue a motion.