Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:48:10 AM

Author Topic: Having Problem Controlling the 4th axis in 4 axis milling[IMPORTANT]  (Read 8403 times)

Hello community members,

I have installed my cnc and can actually use it in 3 axis mode.I also can rotate 4th axis which shows that it is setup for good.

However when I connect a piece to lathe and try to mill it; I recognized that the motor connected to chuck is not working!The chuck was free so workpiece started to rotate.

I need to find a command or a setting to keep my 4th axis steady while I am machining it.I just rotate my 4th axis manually so I want it to remain steady while its getting machined.

Thanks,

Ulas

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Having Problem Controlling the 4th axis in 4 axis milling[IMPORTANT]
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
Sorry but there is no such command in mach3 to do that.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »
Then how de we machine with using the turret(Without making it spin)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »
Are we talking about a MILL or a Lathe ??   

In Mill mode there  are NO commands to make the A axis to run continueusly . ONLY the spindle can run continueusly.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:50 AM »
I have a 4 axis mill so I am running mill mode Should i run another to control all axes?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:10:18 AM »
I am not sure I really understanding what your are asking but do you need to fit a brake to the lathe spindle/chuck or do you need to rotate the lathe spindle/chuck as the 4th axis ??

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 12:32:15 AM »
This is old but thought I'd chime in as I have recent experience with 4th axis and will post for your info.

The 4,5, and 6th axis, or A, B, and C on the G100 are exactly the same as x, y ,z.  If you don't want it to move, don't give it a command.  If you have the axis setup as any other axis it will be locked into whatever position it's in or move in step with the other axis as required.

In my case I'm using the A axis for the extruder on a 3d printer mill conversion.  When 3D printing its a pretty slow process limited by how hard you want to accelerate your axis.  It's kind of interesting how the G100 firmware will proportion just enough extruded plastic at whatever the max speed and accelerations I can get from the x and y which are limited by the large amount of mass they move.  If you watch the extruder gear you can see it speed up and slow down to match the net x, y velocities.  The A axis position is always increasing as the plastic extrudes out.  When the head stops the A xis backs up a fraction of a mill to keep the nozzle from dripping.  If you want to know how much plastic you extruded just look a the A axis number and multiply by the filament diameter.