Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 08:50:30 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 with ESS and PMDX126/107 speed control issues.  (Read 20709 times)

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 with ESS and PMDX126/107 speed control issues.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
After a small bit of research into your VFD tonight these are my findings if they help you in any way, i was going to do a video on the setup of spindles with the ESS but cant see the point until the new ESS plugin is released so ive been using the keypad instead for now.  (Come On Greg you can do it)

Im using an Optidrive VFD which is not much different to yours in a small way...

To begin with you need a pwm signal from the ESS passed to your PMDX board - and for those who want to know the ESS outputs a very good signal of 0 - 5v  - for this i will use Port3 - Pin1(pic1), but I think you will need to use Pin16 ??( I`m opposite to Steve and Bob that I dont know the PMDX stuff so they can confirm that) this will convert to your 0 - 10v reference.

There is no need to set ANY motor OB1 etc in mach, your PWM signal goes to your Output Signal - Spindle On (pic2)
Next you need to set your max rpm in the mach spindle screen for example my spindle max rpm is 24000 (pic3)

From this point I can enter the mdi and issue m3 s12000 and the VFD will start and run at 12000rpm.
Now my VFD only uses 1 signal for direction as its LOW for fwd and HIGH for rev, so I only need 1 output for direction so im using Port3 - Pin2(pic1), but from what I think is the manual for your VFD you need 2 signals, these are M0 = Forward and M1 = Reverse so you need to assign your fwd and reverse within the ESS config and mach config. (but this is where I am stuck with the PMDX what pins go to the fdw and rev on the spindle board) so just as an example I have quickly set a few pics on how i see yours should look within ESS and mach4 config, and then connect the outputs to your vfd.

perhaps I should of done a video a lot more easier to understand than typing!!!

Any questions just fire away.

DazTheGas

New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »
and heres pic5 cause i could only up 4 at a time

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
Thank-you DazTheGas, you're help is very much appreciated. That setup does look virtually identical to what I had, except i have been using pins 14 & 16 as instructed by PMDX. Unfortunately I could only get a very low speed of 100rpm or a very high speed, 2300rpm, depending on whether the spindle pwm was high or low on the mach settings. This is kind of why I have been trying this OB1 route as it is something I haven't able to try...

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »
I have tried a fresh install and the motors still do not show up automatically for the lathe gui, so I cannot set OB1. However, looking at the mill gui set, they do show automatically? Isn't this a bit odd?

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »
Any recommendations on what plugins should be selected? The mill one has them all?
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
Any recommendations on what plugins should be selected? The mill one has them all?
Definitely the Lua plug-in and definitely NOT the simulator plug-in.  You can leave all the others disabled until you need them.

Bob
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Thank-you DazTheGas, you're help is very much appreciated. That setup does look virtually identical to what I had, except i have been using pins 14 & 16 as instructed by PMDX. Unfortunately I could only get a very low speed of 100rpm or a very high speed, 2300rpm, depending on whether the spindle pwm was high or low on the mach settings. This is kind of why I have been trying this OB1 route as it is something I haven't able to try...
Since you said that the PMDX-107 self-test functions work (mostly, as you commented early on that the 30% speed was off, and Steve's explanation for that), there are a couple of ways to try and verify the PWM signal is coming from the ESS on the pin that it should be coming on (pin 16 of whichever ESS port you have connected to the PMDX-126/107).  This requires a volt meter.

First, you can measure the voltage on the PMDX-107's output terminals.  put the black meter lead on the "AGnd" terminal and the red meter lead on the "Aout" terminal.  The voltage *should* vary linearly with spindle speed from 0 to 10V as Steve commented here (https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,31970.msg222550.html#msg222550).

You can also put the volt meter on the PMDX-126 on connector J6 with the black lead on the "PC gnd" terminal and the red lead on the "16" terminal.  Here, the voltage should vary linearly between 0V (approx) and +5V.  If you don't see this varying with spindle speed, then the PWM signal is not appearing, or at least is not appearing where it needs to appear.  Or, to be thorough, there may be something wrong with the PMDX-126.  But if you can assign a signal like "spindle fwd" or "spindle on" to pin 16 and watch it go to 5V and 0V, the PMDX-126 is OK.

Bob

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 06:44:45 PM »
Thanks Bob. Could it be possible that it is the lack of the LUA plugin not being enabled that is causing the issues? I will try the voltages at the first available moment tomorrow.
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:37 AM »
Thanks Bob. Could it be possible that it is the lack of the LUA plugin not being enabled that is causing the issues? I will try the voltages at the first available moment tomorrow.
Probably not.  It doesn't matter for our plug-in, and I *suspect* it wouldn't matter for the ESS plug-in.  But I don't know.  And it doesn't hurt to have the Lua plug-in enabled.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 02:37:19 AM »
joe45 do what daz says to do and you need to find how to go cw, ccw for threading and that sort of thing, so you can run a encoder on your spindle.