Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:44:36 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 with ESS and PMDX126/107 speed control issues.  (Read 20480 times)

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 with ESS and PMDX126/107 speed control issues.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 02:58:40 AM »
When you say set the PWM and FWD on pins 16 & 14 in M4, would that be outputs 16 & 14 or as it was stated before just spindle FWD on the outputs section?

Just a thought, should the system have a spindle feedback loop, such as a spindle encoder or sensor? If it doesn't (I haven't figured out how to set mine up yet) could this cause an issue?

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 04:32:58 AM »
how you had it in ESS config looks good in Mach set the spindle on (pin 14) to spindle forward in M4 ( so when you start the spindle it runs cw).

Set the spindle PWM (pin 16) to spindle on in M4 (so when you turn it on it runs at set PWM).

it's sound arise about faces but it works that way. if it does not work set that way flip it around also close and restart M4 when you change pin setting's

I would check if you realy need the charge pump that's a old school thing a properly set up E stop should be all you need. (it will be argued about)

I am not 100% sure but if I am wrong Ger or tweckey will jump in and say I am, admin.

just doing the vid now I have a speech problem so it just pointing, in outputs I type in a pin number it just where that pin is mapped to from the ESS config

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 06:14:04 AM »

Quote:

bob and Steve you sell a board that connects to a ESS why don't you know how to set it up. and should the op be using it with M4. if I am out off line asking this question sorry but product support is your name and word

PMDX has not responded to these Mach4 configuration issues because they are
not being caused by the PMDX product or its documentation. They are specific
to the EtherNet SmoothStepper and how it is configured under Mach4. We do
not have an ESS with Mach4 running at our shop. If we knew what it took to
make the ESS operate properly we would have spoken up, but we do not and
when we do not know something, we tend to keep quiet rather than guess.
Warp9TD and the SmoothStepper user community are better equipped to
respond to this issue.

The current ESS plugin for Mach4 is doing configuration in a non-standard way
and is scheduled to be totally reworked in the near future. When this happens
it should be much simpler to configure a SmoothStepper under Mach4.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »
I would check if you realy need the charge pump that's a old school thing a properly set up E stop should be all you need. (it will be argued about)
A minor quibble - how about "motion device dependent" instead of "old school".  If you are using a PC parallel port (I know, this thread has an ESS), then the charge pump is still worth using, even with Mach4.  The charge pump helps protect against the case where the computer may be starting up (or re-booting) and the machine is powered on.  The operating system toggles various lines on the parallel port during startup in an attempt to detect what kind of printer may be attached, which can cause things to turn on (even briefly) that the operator may not be expecting.

If you are running some other motion device (ESS as in this thread, or SmartBOBs or other such devices), it depends on how the motion controller behaves during its power-on cycle and before it is configured and running with Mach4.  Yes, from what I've seen the charge pump is less of a requirement for these configurations, but it can still provide an additional level of safety (or peace of mind).

Bob

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 11:17:43 AM »
Many ESS users have had very weird problems with no solutions to their problems. The horseshoe up my bum seems to be holding out since the third recent mach update.

Even though i'm using ESS, I like the charge pump feature. My stepper drives and VFD are controlled by a magnetic contactor coil, which the coil line also runs through my E-Stop. I have a tendency to leave my mills disconnect power switch on by accident. Using the charge pump feature will only turn on those connected to the contactor when Mach 4 executable is running on the computer.

So far I am very satisfied with PMDX products and their superior one on one support, not so much on Warp9's software but they do offer better assistance than Artsoft. Hopefully the long waited ESS plug-in release will help others with their issues. 
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
Many thanks for your video, it has pointed me in the correct direction. However, as the attached images show, motor 6 doesn't show in the axis mapping tab at all. And when I click apply and close the window, and reopen it, the OB1 tick is restored to an X. Any ideas?
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
Many thanks for your video, it has pointed me in the correct direction. However, as the attached images show, motor 6 doesn't show in the axis mapping tab at all. And when I click apply and close the window, and reopen it, the OB1 tick is restored to an X. Any ideas?
Check in the Mach4 config "Motors" tab. If the axis mapping tab only allows you to select 2 motors I would guess that you only have 2 motors enabled in the "Motors" tab (enabled means check marks next to the "Motor0", "Motor1", etc.).  From the 2nd image you posted I would guess that you have only Motor0 and Motor1 enabled.

Bob

Offline joe45

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 03:53:45 PM »
Under the motors tab I only have motors 0 & 1 available, the only ones that show. By enabling another ( 2 ) in the ESS config, that one is now available. I can only go to motor 5 in the ESS config. Any ideas?

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
do a reinstall as admin of M4 it should show more than 3 motors it does on my machine with a ESS