Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:01:28 PM

Author Topic: Motor stalling / noise in lines  (Read 2061 times)

Motor stalling / noise in lines
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:01:43 AM »
Hey everyone in getting my new machine up and running and i seam to have 2 problems (maybe more)

1. My motor on the x axis (sometimes but rarely on the y axis) is stalling out on me and cant seam to make any sense of it. I have my steps per calculated by the software and its 4004.25 steps and i set the velocity to 50 ipm with a acceleration of 7. Great motion but it stalls in random spots all over the table. I check to see if i had everything to tight and everything to be movable by hand easily (with little resistance) throughout the entire table. Also checked the alignment of the motor and everything looks great. When the motor is up and running I can feel a slight tick in the motor like its skipping steps.

2. I think I might have some kind of ground loop or feedback in my system and have no idea how to check for it. I get feeback in my emergency stop button/home/limit switch mounted right by the spindle motor and z axis stepper. Found this problem when I noticed that my z axis was not moving off the home switch when i referenced the machine this problem was fixed by a 1000 offest on the bebouce noise reduction.

Main question is how to diagnose the noise problem then fix the stepper problem and what are my steps that I should take and info would be greatly appreciated.
If any more info is needed let me know I can respond asap.
Thanks in advance everyone Cheers,

Dylan
Re: Motor stalling / noise in lines
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
All my motor wires are shielded my inputs are not this might be where the noise is getting in

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »
My suggestion would be that you replace all your inputs wiring with shielded (screened) cable with the shield connected to a single point (star) earth at the controller end only. You should then be able to reduce your debounce setting and hopefully not have any more 'ticks' when jogging the motors.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:43:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip ill try on friday and wire do you suggest?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 04:20:05 AM »
I would use twin core braided screen similar to this pic. for all inputs (switches, estop, etc.).

Tweakie.
PEACE