Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:55:21 PM

Author Topic: Configuring Z access  (Read 2487 times)

Configuring Z access
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »
 I'm in the process of setting up my machine for the first time and decided to start with Road Runner example  that came with Mach3.  I  positioned the X and Y axis for home in the lower left-hand portion of my wood. Raised  my z-axis just above my wood.   When I press the go to Z button it  reposition itself to the home position. I load the G code for the Road Runner and press the cycle start. The Z-axis raises itself up begins moving never touches the wood. Not really sure why the z-axis is raised

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Configuring Z access
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
It raises to 0.2, then should drop down to -0.1 I think. WHat does the Z DRO show while its "cutting the roadrunner". If it says -.1, then your Z zero position is set incorrectly.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »
I tried running the rest of the samples that where provided. The following are the results.

Ball.tap
Status: Radius to end of arc differs from radius of start on line number 284

Nested Circle tap
At Line 2  X-axis is moved +5 cm to the right then moves and z-axis moves +1 cm forward then Z-axis drills way down. X and Y axis continue to increase DRO shows z-axis at +2.803.

Shapes.tap
Goes to line 25 then returns to line zero.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
Ball and nested circle I think are lathe files, I know ball is.

Shapes is an engraving or cut out of a small db9 pin connector.  is to cut a db9 plug socket, there is an M30 at line 29 which tells mach that the program has ended and to rewind.  Regardless of what is beyond that line.  So you are experiencing perfect behavior.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:29:30 PM »
 OK that's good to know. Now let's get back to the road runner. When I cycle start the Road Runner it appears not to be  cutting properly. When completed there is a small indent about size of a dime.  The display table looks fine and shows it cutting appropriately but my X and Y axis are not moving appropetly  to the Road Runner picture being carved. Thanks appreciate the help John is

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:41:41 AM »
OK that's good to know. Now let's get back to the road runner. When I cycle start the Road Runner it appears not to be  cutting properly. When completed there is a small indent about size of a dime.  The display table looks fine and shows it cutting appropriately but my X and Y axis are not moving appropetly  to the Road Runner picture being carved. Thanks appreciate the help John is

The Gcode dimensions of the roadrunner file are in Inches and it sounds as though your machine is set-up in Millimeters.
Try editing the file and adding a G20 at the start of the roadrunner Gcode - this will tell Mach3 that you want the file processed in inches and it will then scale everything up to suit.

The Mach3 manual explains in more detail http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Tweakie.
PEACE