Hello Guest it is November 18, 2019, 01:36:11 PM

Author Topic: Aiming axis  (Read 5298 times)

Aiming axis
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
Is there a way to use the Step/Dir of X and Y to turn a stepper between 0-360 so that it will essentially point in the direction the the cnc is moving? kind of like how a pick and place head rotates?

Any help on this is appreciated.
Jamie

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,002 8,002
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: Aiming axis
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:21:05 AM »
Could you not just use Tangential Control ??

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 04:39:56 AM »
Yes! That is what I was looking for. Thank you! I have some reading to do to get this set up. I came across a video on YouTube and the comments were saying that it isn't supported anymore and to write it buy hand. I hope there is a way to still get it set up. Any idea if this can work on files other than 2.5d?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,002 8,002
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 05:39:32 AM »
There are a couple of issues but some versions of Mach3 work better with Tangential than others (unfortunately I do not have a definitive list of which are best) and yes it will work with 2D files.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:24:43 AM »
Ok, I got Tangential settings working better than I thought they would. I'm using it with a wire feed welder so I will have to get it to work without continuously rotating so it won't rap up the cords. Is there a way to do this? my a axis soft limit was set to 0-100 and it was still a continuous rotation.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,002 8,002
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:54:55 AM »
Ok, I got Tangential settings working better than I thought they would. I'm using it with a wire feed welder so I will have to get it to work without continuously rotating so it won't rap up the cords. Is there a way to do this? my a axis soft limit was set to 0-100 and it was still a continuous rotation.

If you attach your .xml file - the one from your Mach3 folder named <your profile>.xml (typically Mach3Mill.xml) I can take a look at your settings and maybe suggest a way. Copy and rename your .xml file to Jamie.xml then use the Reply button and select Additional Options to attach the file.

Tweakie.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
Ok. I thought it might be the setting in General Configuration, Rotational soft Limits. So I checked it and set soft Limit to max 360 min 0 but I just kept getting soft limit warnings. after running it anyways it continued rotating instead of limiting non-continuously. I have no idea if that's what its even for or if it will work with Tangential on.

Jamie

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,002 8,002
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
Sorry but your .xml did not post correctly so I am unable to test your set-up here. If you post it again it will have to have a unique name (i.e. Jamie2.xml).

Tweakie.

Offline BR549

•  6,916 6,916
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 12:56:28 PM »
I don't hink that Mach3 can directly do what you are needing for a robotinc welder and it cannot do Joint kenimatics so that you woul dhave world point jogging. Or joint kenematics so that when you rotate a joint teh toolpoint stays teh same.

You can however program all joint motions as each a seperate motion AND mach3 can symotanoiusly move up to 6 axis  .

Tangent control does its own thing assuming it has a full 360 continous control as it can continously rotate a joint without limits IF it needs to UNLIKE Gcode motion where SOMETIMES teh joint has to be unwound back to Zero. OR cannot exceed a certain angle and THAT would be controlled from CAM and the post.

Also for the most part Tang control is busted in several ways.

There is a reason MOST robots do not use Gcoded motion (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,916 6,916
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »
That said IF you could come up with a linear formula based on XY motion to position A then you might be able to make Formulas work in your favor.

(;-) TP