Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:00:04 AM

Author Topic: CNC mill has mind of it's own  (Read 6051 times)

Re: CNC mill has mind of it's own
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
something I read in the OP.  You said that if you home the machine its dead on.  Well that is to be expected because any loss in position is nullified by the re-homing.  You are telling the machine to reference itself again.  That means that your known zero point will then be picked back up from home positions.  have you checked its zero points right after it went bonkers?

You would be surprised at how many gremlins I have solved on aged machines just by taking the LPT cable off, turn it around if it can, and plug it back in.   turning it around makes sure that both ends where completely removed and plugged back in.  This was the number 1 fix on alot of dot matrix printers back in the day as well.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 02:30:18 PM »
Here is an update of what I have done. Removed the internet connection (USB), Uninstalled the Anti-virus software (McAffe Live safe), When it happens I 've looked inside the CNC Control cabinet and felt the capacitor, motion controllers (they were cool), Felt axis motors(they were cool), looked inside the PC and didn't see anything wrong. So it is happening more often now. One thing I did notice was when the "X" and "Y" axis starts to shake I grabbed the "X" axis hand wheel to see if I could stop  it and I couldn't. I did feel though at times as if the axis motor wasn't locked up for a short interval and then it would lock back up. So one of my thoughts here is if the mill becomes labored with a plugged tooth (haven't seen it)or whatever, in other words the axis motors is pushed to its limits would this cause the problem. I'm guess I'm going to have to try a different computer. Anybody have any thoughts?

Pat

Offline bfgstew

•  91 91
  • DOH!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »
I would do a complete format of your hard drive and re-install XP up to service pack2 (someone may correct me on that), then re-install Mach3 and associated drivers purely for the CNC you run nothing else, complete bare bones means that.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »
I am using a old Dell Optiplex, 2 gig, running xp. I had the same issues using the PP connected to a Gecko 540. Tried everything to solve it and no luck. Finally went to ESS and never had the problem again. I read someplace that certain Dell Optiplex models use a 3.3v PP output which could be your problem although mine was 5v. I suspected the PP on Dell Optiplex are handled differently in BIOS than other pc brands. I gutted my Dell of all unnecessary programs, antivirus and startup services except what is needed to run Mach 3 and use a USB stick to transfer files. Especially make sure the automatic update are turned off as this can eat up tons of processor time.  
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:26:36 PM by geh7552 »
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »
Hey GEH7552, I'm trying to figure out what ESS means. Also what is crazy about this is that the configuration I have , has been working for at least 3 years without any problems. So that has me wondering why would it act up all of a sudden? Thanks

Pat
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:03:58 AM by patsgunrepair »
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
ESS= Ethernet SmoothStepper sold by Warp9. It's a external controller card. Don't get the USB version as it has a history of problems.

Clearly something has changed in your pc to start causing the problems. Could be as simple as the PP card is failing. Even though Microsoft stopped supporting XP it's still sending out updates. I have another Dell 8400 running XP Pro connected to the internet that I use for AutoCad work that last month got a bunch of automatic XP updates. Surprised me!  Could be one of the updates is affecting Mach 3.

Try rolling back to a previous date where you know the PP issues didn't happen.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:13:01 PM by geh7552 »
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »
okay I will roll back to a previous date and see if that works, If that doesn't I'm going to go back and reformat the drive and have a clean install of mach 3. Was wondering what files I should back up for mach 3. I assume the XML files?

Pat

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
Safest to copy the whole Mach3 folder to a usb stick - no chance of losing a file then.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »
IF it is an old PC I would consider replacing the Memory with NEW stuff at least 2gb

(;-) TP