Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:23:34 PM

Author Topic: CNC mill has mind of it's own  (Read 6104 times)

CNC mill has mind of it's own
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:36 AM »
Okay I need a little help. I have been running the same CNC setup for about 3 years now without any really problems. I will list my setup below for those who wish to look at it. Anyways I can run a g-code for about 4 hours or 4 parts then the gremlins get a hold of the x and y axis. The Both of these axis start to jerk like the motion controller is losing the signal to the motors, but it never really falls short of the intended spot but goes long. If I'm lucky I get the CNC shutdown before it trashes the part. So I'm thinking that if I re-home the machine it should be off right? Wrong!!! It is on the money, I than check my zeros and they are right on. Even after I stop the g-code the x and y axis still jerk around, can even go on for 5 minutes, I assume it's running to end of the line of code. So my question is what the Heck is going on. I have replaced my wireless keyboard, updated my anti-virus, turned off my screen saver and still the same thing. I've read about turning off the tool path but it sounds like it's for programs with over 250,000 lines of code. This program has about 25,000 lines. Besides I have used this setup for years without a hitch. My next thought is to shutoff the anti-virus, go back to a restore point a couple weeks back, and maybe even the toolpath. Anybody have anymore ideas???? Thanks for your help in advance.

Pat

Dell Opti-plex
Windows XP updated
Parallel Port run Mach 3
Gecko Motion Controllers
Mill - Drill Rongfu with ball screws
3 Axis Movement
Milling out pockets
BobCad V27
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:05:36 AM by patsgunrepair »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: CNC mill has mind of it's own
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »
Personally i would get rid of the antivirus and run a clean, disconnected system only.

No idea if thats the issue but antivirus is a bad idea.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:13:11 AM »
I agree with Dave - it's always best to have a dedicated PC (which does not have other software (which may run in the background) and is not connected to the net) running Mach3.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:39:55 AM »
Sounds to me like the computer itself may be  the issue.
Look inside see if it is dirty, see if capacitors are bulging, look in bios and see if the temps and voltages are in spec.
Hood

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:56:39 AM »
I'm with hood
Facebook archies machine

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »
Make sure the drives aren't overheating.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:21:07 AM »
I am with the anti virus removal and the cleaning of the PC, also make sure that you turn the view port off.  Especially if you are using onboard video.  The viewport updates in real time as the tool moves.  larger Gcode files have a lot of lines to "render" per say.  Any interrupt in the pulse stream and you will see the effects on the part.  It also happens very randomly as well.

Also check the task manager to see if you have other programs running in the background, trying to poll the network card for updates ect. 
I always stress that the computer running the mill is NO LONGER A PERSONAL COMPUTER.  It should be viewed as a dedicated CNC control.  So dont go putting Itunes on it and other stuff.  Dont be using it to search the web ect.  Any change in the windows environment can potentially cause issues with mach3.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
Okay thanks for the replies I will try them all. As for a dedicated computer, that is what I'm doing. I have the Anti-virus software on the computer to help with any virus I may get with the other computer connected to my network. I like to be able to transfer files from the computer running the BobCad V27 software (which has anti-virus softeware installed) to the dedicated CNC computer. Do I need to worry about virus transferring from BobCad computer to the CNC computer? Also Hood do you mean the computer or the controllers overheating? I have cleaned out both of these but didn't look at the capacitors. However it is also something I will do anyways. Thanks for all the help I will let you know what I find out.

Pat

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
Okay thanks for the replies I will try them all. As for a dedicated computer, that is what I'm doing. I have the Anti-virus software on the computer to help with any virus I may get with the other computer connected to my network. I like to be able to transfer files from the computer running the BobCad V27 software (which has anti-virus softeware installed) to the dedicated CNC computer. Do I need to worry about virus transferring from BobCad computer to the CNC computer? Also Hood do you mean the computer or the controllers overheating? I have cleaned out both of these but didn't look at the capacitors. However it is also something I will do anyways. Thanks for all the help I will let you know what I find out.

Pat

Is either pc on the internet??

No, then you do not need antivirus software.

If the non-cnc pc is on the 'net then i would sever the connection and use a usb drive to transfer the files.

The chances of getting a virus on a cnc pc is bugger all as they usually transfer with word files or audio/picture files etc. Virus software is a major workload on a pc, Norton being one of the worst but any is bad news.

Even the network card itself can be bad news and if not connected should be disabled in windows networking as it will constantly send out packets in search of other computers which it cant reach as its unplugged so it just sends and sends, working the cpu wastefully.

I have no idea if these points will help but ruling out basic stuff is always good i think.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
I was meaning the Computer but also as Gerry said it could be your drives overheating.

Hood