Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:03:37 AM

Author Topic: Need Help figuring out PROGRAM/MACHINE/PART X&Z SET ZERO ?  (Read 6229 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help figuring out PROGRAM/MACHINE/PART X&Z SET ZERO ?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »
I have attached a pick of the OD ARC Turning.
- Clearance is the amount of pull out of the tool.
- What radius will be put on the end of the stock is determined by the Sphere Dia.
- You can position the Sphere anywhere you want depending on the other inputs.
- If you want a complete half round on the end of the stock then Xend should be 0.0
  and see the attached pic.

Watch the graphics area to see what is happening as you change inputs.
BTW, watch how the tool is positioned relative to the round  or you will gouge during the machining.

RICH

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
O.K>. How should the tool be positioned? SHould I place the tool on the left side of the Quick Change holder post or the Front position. Does it matter?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
It's the tool tip / shape as it relates to the arc.
Gouging is when some part of the cutting tool is hitting the work other than / or in addition to the tool tip.

Scroll thru the gcode and you will see the tool movement.
It starts on the left and follows the curve, thus counter clockwise.

If the tool where a triangular tip and aligned  on a 45 deg angle it would be close, but may still gouge depending on the depth of cut.
I don't want to confuse you, but to cut small outside arc's I grind the tool such that it is a point and has radius on each side such that it
can't gouge.

Can you envision the above?

RICH
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
 I think So.. Like I have a triangle tool, you grind the sides so they have a round shape?

I just ordered an iscar grooving/turning/profile tool. I was thinking of getting the round inserts. Would those do the job nicely? I am attaching a picture of the round bits that I mean
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 12:59:51 AM »
DOes anyone know if these inserts will cut a ARC profile and do you just touch the center of the circle to X zero as you would an insert with a POINT ?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
A button tool that you show will work. In LT you would provide the radius of tool and the code will be pre-compensated.

Have a look at page 8 of Appendix A and you can see how a tool was positioned to the work.
I would suggest that before spending money on some inserts, create different tools in in LT, using what you have, providing different tool
angles, etc and then generate some pathing. Say you have a triangle tool, you will see that at  some angle and using a depth of cut not greater than  the actual radius may be satisfactory for what you want to do. You can zoom in / see just how the tool is following the pathing and check for gouging of the tool. Try out the test tool location..........
Note that the tool is not shown to actual size...it will be bigger ..... but, you can still see the tool to stock relationship.

LT provides for gouge protection and will not provide a path into the work if it gouges. So you will see that a Button tool 1/8 radius will no go into a corner with a radius small than the radius of the button tool.

Have fun,

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
If you get into small turning work you will find that you will need some special tooling.
You can create what I call a POINT tool ( ie; a grooving tool of tip radius 0.001" ) having almost zero width so it can get into all the "nooks and crannies" of the profile.

Attached pic shows a point tool made so that it will not gouge for doing small work.

RICH
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
Good to know about the small point tool. I think I can grind that out using my HSS blanks.  On the OD ARC TURNING Wizard. Is there a way to make the end of the sphere more of an OVAL end shape, or is that wizard strictly for a ROUND radius end?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 03:43:04 PM »
It's for a radius end.
There is a Parabola Wizard. Don't remember where or who posted it. Try the Downloads section?
Never tried it though, so not sure how or even if it works.

PIC attached of it.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 03:47:57 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:52:04 PM by RICH »