Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:36:09 AM

Author Topic: Need Help figuring out PROGRAM/MACHINE/PART X&Z SET ZERO ?  (Read 6226 times)

Need Help figuring out PROGRAM/MACHINE/PART X&Z SET ZERO ?
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
I just got my cnc lathe kit on and wanted to try a OD SPHERE wizard. I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to set the PROGRAM/MACHINE/PART X&Z SET ZERO. FOr the PART, I  am toughing my TRIANGLE TIP to the very end of the rod and that is where I set my Z-zero. Then I find the very front corner of my rod where it meets the end and set that as my X-zero.. So X&Z are set at the exact same place.. Is this correct? For the Machine set zero/home, I find the exact middle of the rod on the end face for X&Z and then I go +Z 1" and +X 1" and set that as my machine zero set. For the PROGRAM Zero set, I have no idea how to set that? Can any one please clarify? I have been trying to do this for hour and trying to run a WIZARD for OD SPhere and am not gaining any ground?
Re: Need Help figuring out PROGRAM/MACHINE/PART X&Z SET ZERO ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »
 :) Greetings.

Firstly, you should look through the TURN manual to get a general idea of how the coordinate systems relate to the machine and the part.

It is a very informative first step that will answer many of your initial questions.

Chapter 7

Cheers,
Russ
 :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:56:51 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
I did read and go through it, but I seem to be missing something, as I am trying to run the OD sphere Wizard. When I start the cycle, the tool moves out about 1/4" outside the 5/8" stock towards the + X /// I am not sure what I am doing wrong? I place the 5/8" stock in. I place my tool holder and crossslide about +z1" & +1"x and set that as my MACHINE COORDINATE Zero. Then I place the tip of the tool at the very end of the 5/8" stock and set the Z PArt to zero. I then set the tip of the tool to the front of the stock and set that as X part to zero. I am not sure what to do with the PROGRAM set as it seems to  always have the PART zero values.. Does this seem correct? The I go into AUTO and try to run the WIZARD... my tool holder is on the front quick change tool post facing left towards the stock..
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
I then set the tip of the tool to the front of the stock and set that as X part to zero.
You would set this at .625 in PART coords.

Re-read the part about setting up the tool  ... touch off, or skim cut method.
It' all right there.

Russ
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »
Ahh o.k. I did not understand that part about entering in the OD of .625. For the PROGRAM SET ZERO, Do I even enter anything for that  or is it the exact same as the PART Set Zero values?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »
mpix00,

I have attached a some info from a rough write up for my lathe screen set. I think it will give you some basics you need to
understand, BEFORE, you start trying use your lathe.

I think that most new lathe users get confused as they quest to start trying out their new lathe.
Here is some simple thinking that can become repeatable / habit forming such that things turn out correctly.

1. Define Machine Coordinate (MC) Zero - the controller now knows where  YOUR machine zero is.
2. Now define where the stock /  part is to the controller. The part  is usually some distance away from MC=0 but it is always
   on lathe center. That is what Part Coordinates (PC) are. Now most simplistically, you can make MC=PC=0.
   There will be no work offsets and the MC & PC coordinates will be the same.
3. Generate the gcode to cut the part such that the code is based on the center and  face of the part.

Make sure when you use the wizards that inputs are correct for the lathe mode you have defined. ie; Dia or Radius mode.

And lastly, hate to say this,  STUDY the manual.

Have Fun,
RICH
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »
Yes I have been reading that Manual studying it.. My Wife is 13 weeks pregnant and we have a 1 year old son, so getting time to work, study the Manual like I need and get out there to try and test out my new findings are very minimal at this point as I am helping out my Wife with pretty much everything. She is very sick so far during this pregnancy, so I am trying to get as much information as possible.

Thank you so much for this clarification! It sums up pretty much everything I was confused about. Between your information and the information of entering the Diameter in X on Parts Zero is what I was not understanding. I am in Diameter Mode.

So Can you critique me on this, to see if I have the understanding right?
I am trying to run the OD SPHERE Wizard. I notice it says to enter X Start to X End .. It looks like X Start would be the Face or set Zero and the X END would be how far into the stock that you would the machining go into the stock correct?

I have a .625 DIAMETER stock
I want to have the WIZARD machine into a sphere/round end at the face of the stock end. I want the beginning curve of the Sphere to be 1/2" distance, which I guess would be Z Start and Z End correct?

So wouldn't  I enter: DIAMETER (0.625)
 X-Start as ( 0.000 )
 X-End as (-.3125) to get to the center of the .6125 Diameter Stock? I am in Diameter Mode.

Z-Start as (0.000)
Z- End as (-.5000)
For Z Clearance I have no idea why this is here because I want there to be CLEARANCE=(0.000) But it will not allow me to enter a 0.000 value as it is < my roughing cut value of (.025)... How do I make No Clearance or Is the Wizard programmed to MUST Have some sort of Clearance?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
Just to clarify which wizard is being used as I need use the same one as you.

I have OD Arc Turning which is in the  Lathe Turning Wizards done by Brian / Kiran.

RICH

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
Yes it is the exact same Wizard by the exact same people. Thank you
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
It is the OD ARC TURNING