Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:32:08 AM

Author Topic: Retrofit a Laguna Swift DSP to Mach3 control  (Read 4000 times)

Retrofit a Laguna Swift DSP to Mach3 control
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
Hello,
I have a Laguna Swift 4x4 CNC router that is currently controlled by a DSP "Rich Auto" pendant.  I want to be able to use Mach3 as my control from a desktop PC that is by the machine.  I have the diagrams that were supplied to me by Laguna regarding what is there at present. 
My hope is that someone has done this before and can help me get it done.  But, as I'm sure is the case with lots of people here, I have very little down time so I expect that I will complete it over a period of time, in other words, know what to do and do it once quickly and correctly would be the ideal.
Thanks!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Retrofit a Laguna Swift DSP to Mach3 control
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
You have a huge amount of options to choose from in how you want to go about it.

What brand and model is the VFD?
Do you want Mach3 to control your vacuum pump?

Do you want to use a parallel port, or a USB or ethernet motion controller?

Looks like the machine has 24V switches? If you want to keep them at 24V, you'll need to purchase components that support 24V I/O.

I would recommend doing a lot of research before you jump in. It's not a difficult switch, though.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »
If the I/O on the machine is 24v then the CSMIO/IP-M may make a nice controller choice and it is relatively inexpensive as you do not need breakout boards, spindle controllers, analogue inputs etc that you would need in addition to some other controllers.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the help! 
I hope that I'm not reposting this because I answered once but don't see it here.  So,
I have no vacuum table and I would use any of the options, (parallel port, usb, ethernet board, etc...) that is the easiest/best.  No preference.
Attached are photos, I hope of a dusty machine control.
doug

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:04 AM »
Well as the drives can accept differential signals, it looks like I/O is 24v and also likely your VFD will use a relay and a 0-10v control signal then I think the CSMIO/IP-M would be a good fit.
If you wanted a hand held controller you would have to also get the MPG module, whether you get that with the handheld MPG unit they also sell or use one of your own doesnt matter, well as long as the actual MPG is 5v square wave output, most are.

Hood