Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:23:01 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and Windows 7  (Read 2571 times)

Offline tipit

•  22 22
    • View Profile
Mach3 and Windows 7
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »
Hi to all of you

I am now using Mach3 with Windows XP, Can't get any  update for XP anymore and some off other software that is  on the same PC are starting to stop running. Will Mach3 work with Win 7 both OS are 32 Bits, if so,  what should I save  from Mach3 and how to do this.

Thank you.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:44:49 AM »
It is always best to have a dedicated PC (not connected to the net and without any other software) for operating your CNC.

Mach3 will work just fine with Win7 32bit

Backup the following:-
XML(Profile) – This stores you’re settings for Mach3, if you lose it you will need to re-setup you’re ports and pins, motor tuning, etc.
Screensets
Macros/Brains
Mach1Lic.dat license file

Or perhaps make a backup copy of your complete Mach3 folder.

Install Mach 3 then copy (into the new Mach3 folder) your original .xml file and your Mach1Lic.dat license file. If you have any special screensets or brains then they need to be copied over as well (not forgetting the bitmap folder for the screensets).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »
What you may run into is W7 takes a lot more PC horsepower to run Mach3 properly than did your OLD pc OS as XP. There is nothing wrong with XP and your old programs did NOT stop because you no longer get updates EVEN though you can. You will also have more trouble with the New W7 not running older programs

Offline tipit

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
Thank you for the info

I will copy the entire folder, just in case
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:15:44 AM »
before you move over, take screen shots of all the settings for mach.  You may find that your current XML is not playing as it should.  Just setting up a new XML with all the same settings has solved/fixed several problems in the past for me.  I deal with a large quantity of mach3 ran machines.  When ever I am moving mach/new computer, I always configure a new XML on the new machine. Food for thought.

Offline tipit

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 12:50:43 AM »
Thank you for the screen shots info, always better to have more than to be sorry