Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:05:24 PM

Author Topic: Can't get X Axis to work  (Read 2054 times)

Can't get X Axis to work
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
I am a total CNC newbie.  I have been playing with Mach 3 trying to get my new cheapy CNC machine to work.   All axis were working.  

Soft limits are disabled.  
I am using a parallel port controller.  

I can't seem to get my x-xis to work.  My X axis is set up for pin 2   as the step pin and pin 3 as direction.    I placed a scope on pin 2 and pin 3 and they both remain low.   Y Axiis is pins 4 and 5 and when I place my scope on them, I see transitions.  Pin 4 pulses low when stepping and pin 5 changes when chaning direction.

I noticed that Y axis was not working at all until I exited Mach3 and got back in, then it was only working in one direction, until I did something (can't remember what)  and now it works in both directions.

I have confirmed pi configuration more than once.  Is there something else that could keep the x-axis from working aside from a bad parallel port?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get X Axis to work
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »
Is the x axis enabled under ports and pins configuration?
Use  the y cable to the x axis to confirm it is  port problem, if it is, then use two different input pins.
If the drives are those Chinese ones.....sorry I can't assist you.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:10:22 PM »
Yes all pin configuration has been confirmed.   If I swap X with Y  and operate Y then the X axis motors move.

As I said I placed an oscilloscope on pins 2 and 3 of the parallel port on my PC and I am not seeing transitions on pins 2 and 3  when operating the x axis but I am seeing them on 4 and 5 when operating the Y axis.  Pin 2 the X step pin is always low while pin 4 the Y axis is normally high   So I think the issue is either those pins are disabled in Mach 3 or my parallel port is not working.   I found a parallel port testing software online.  I think I will give it a try. 
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »
Got it to work!   I reseated the cable on the system board and that seemed to do the trick.    Thanks for the assist.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 06:27:33 AM »
Glad it's now working.
Rich