Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:42:28 PM

Author Topic: Running Mach3 in Windows 10 (Registered)  (Read 7135 times)

Offline DaveS

•  13 13
  • On our way
    • View Profile
    • The Smithdale Pages
Running Mach3 in Windows 10 (Registered)
« on: January 10, 2016, 12:03:22 AM »
I understand that the parallel stepper motor controller I have will not work in Windows 10 and I need to use a Remote Motion Controller,  according to a moderator, the parallel port cannot be used in 64bit W8/10 :(
I have a full kit of hardware and electronics as per the Book "Build your own CNC Machine" (Hood/Kelly) . My son and I are soon commencing the construction of the device.
Can someone point us in the right direction regarding these Remote Motion Controllers?  I have found some on EBay starting at around $100, Can someone point us in the right direction so we get the right unit.  

We are using a Dell Optiplex 780 SFF desktop with 4G of RAM running W10 64bit.  As raw newbies at CNC any help would be appreciated.  My son is a whizz at computers and should have no problems with the software & G-Code management.  I have over 60 years electronics experience so the hardware assemble will be no problems.  Just a case of obtaining the correct boards.  Our parts include the stepper motors and tool motor with speed controller, as specified in the book. Together with bearings and other hardware.

Thanks Dave & Mark
The odds it will fail are 100% against you!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Running Mach3 in Windows 10 (Registered)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:25:56 AM »
I'd stay away from the chinese motion controllers on Ebay.

A good, low cost motion controller is the UC100 from CNC Drive.
Another very popular option is the Ethernet Smoothstepper.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:13:16 AM »
UC100 is by far the easiest to get setup and running.  it is a great piece of hardware.  I have installed hundreds of them.  The only problem I have ever run into with one was a bad cable.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:23:03 AM »
I have no idea which is the best or the easiest to set-up external motion controller but I use a Warp9, Ethernet, SmoothStepper. They have excellent back-up and after sales (bit slow on releasing plugin software updates  :)) supported by their own forum http://warp9td.com/

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:42 AM »
Hi DaveS Welcome!
Like you I also started from ground zero. I'm by far no expert on anything.
After 5 years of building and running our mill I would have to say I would
not be where I'm at today if it was not for this forum. I also give this forum
five stars *****.
I started out with a dell computer, parallel port, BOB, and Gecko drives, and
Vectric VcarvePro.
Today I still have the same setup except with a Smooth Stepper.
VcarvePro is a great piece of software.
olf20 / Bob
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:55:40 AM by olf20 »
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline DaveS

•  13 13
  • On our way
    • View Profile
    • The Smithdale Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »
I have ended up with 2 feeds running on this.  Not used to Forums:)  But as I mention on my other post.  I have found this forum to be the best I have visited, even stunned the Moderator by giving the forum 5 Stars :)   No seriously.  I have received great support and information so far and I am somewhat overwhelmed trying out the various suggestions.

Its going to take few days to evaluate all the suggestions.  So far I am strongly leaning towards 2DCut.  My son Mark will be coming up to town on Thursday and I will unleash the plephora of software on him and see what he likes.  (He's the software man.  As I have said I am the nuts and bolts department :)

Cheers  Dave & Mark
The odds it will fail are 100% against you!