Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:22:18 AM

Author Topic: FEED HOLD  (Read 10905 times)

rswolff

FEED HOLD
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
The FEED HOLD seems to do some peculiar things......if I hit FEED HOLD and then CYCLE START it skips the current line and starts to move to the end point of the following line. If I hit FEED HOLD, the CYCLE STOP, the CYCLE START it continues from the spot I pressed FEED HOLD. This seems a bit wrong. Any suggestions?  :(

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: FEED HOLD
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:36:04 AM »
To pause motion the correct sequence (as you have discovered) is Feed Hold then Stop.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 07:33:34 AM »
Not if you just want to pause, then resume. I occasionally use Feedhold, then Cycle Start, and it always works fine.

Perhaps it's a bug in your motion controller? Have you tried a different version of Mach3?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

rswolff

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
sometimes works....sometimes not.....latest version of Mach3......not a giant issue.....it also seems to work if you hit STOP, then CYCLE start without rewind. If that works I may simply eliminate the FEED HOLD button entirely. Its for a customer so it needs to be fairly bulletproof. Since two posts indicate something entirely different its probably an issue with Mach3.....one of many. ???

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
If you hit Stop then you will loose exact position.
If you are using version .066 then problems are to be expected - version .062 seems to be the favorite of most.
Feed-Hold and when motion stops then Stop is the way to go.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:39:15 PM »
I had to do the same as Tweakie:

FEED HOLD - STOP - CYCLE START to resume.

I've heard that feed hold retains the contents of the run buffer and stops motion in a controlled way, whereas STOP is just bang and doesn't care.

Last time I did FEED HOLD - CYCLE START Mach3 went nuts on me (something I live in constant fear of with Mach3).

Keith.

rswolff

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »
yup....Mach3 puts fear in the hearts of men...and brings women to tears.......whats bizarre is its the best product out there....and its really really buggy.......I don't see a lot of complaints about it being buggy......only that it would be nice if it could have more colors or something just as stupid. If I knew it was this buggy I would have refused the project. This product is best left in someones garage or basement as a 'toy'....it does not belong in any industrial environment regardless of anyones personal opinion to the contrary.  :-[

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
I've been out in the garage and I've used Feedhold, then Cycle Start 4 or 5 times. I've never had a problem doing it that way. That's generally the way it's intended to work. Once you hit Stop, you usually need to use Run From Here to continue.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

rswolff

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
yup I agree....thats the way it SHOULD work....doesn't on two different test installations.....does exactly what the other reply indicates...press FEED HOLD, then STOP, then CYCLE START. On both the test installs, if you press FEED HOLD, then CYCLE START, it skips the line you paused at, and proceeds to continue to the END POINT of the following line. Can't tell you why......if it was only me I'd agree that I'm nutz......thats what happens when you use 'toy' software.  :P

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 02:17:16 AM »
I bet it's Mach3 version dependent.

Heard plenty stories about how something works in one version but not in another, and users are often told to use an older version to get a particular feature working.

As dodgy as Mach3 is, I have quite a soft spot for it. I must be mad LOL.

Keith.