Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:23:41 AM

Author Topic: 1/4" 2 Flute End Mill  (Read 6046 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: 1/4" 2 Flute End Mill
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
The one on the left is just a carbide tipped router bit.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »
Is this the right bit to use for aluminum if I get one with single flute?
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
No, not really, but it will work.
A spiral "O" flute is the better option.

However, if your machine lacks rigidity, then you may get better results with the carbide tipped bits.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »
Thanks Gerry, as I said I'm using a hands router and I wonder why the carbide tipped bit did a much better job than the spiral

The spiral I used was a brand new bit and the carbide tipped came with the router among other bits which were of no good quality

So I will buy a new good quality carbide tip single flute + 2 flute
Nicolas

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 03:30:59 PM »
Hi Kolias
The one on the right is an absolutley stock standard end mill for metal.
The one on the left is not used very often on metal: too much impact, but you could perhaps use it on sheet metal and I am sure it gets used on wood.

Hi Gerry: 'not on wood' - yeah, i had noticed that some timbers were not nice. You should see what old dead Oz wattle does to anything: some of them are full of silica and are rough on carbide (and they just eat HSS).

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
Hi,

I have Kress spindle which is supposed to be able to run at 12000rpm?, but in order to have longer service life for it. For example, for cutting with 6mm diameters cutter, i turn the dial to 2 or 3 out of 10. I don't exactly know how much rpm it is, may be around 2000. I use 4-flutes standard H.S.S milling cutter to do a lot of milling in aluminum. I know 2 flutes or single is better, but in term of cost, in my country, 4 flutes is a common one and is cheaper than the others. Of course, sufficient flood coolant is needed.

Even though, for 3mm cutter, I do it in this manner...rpm is around at dial #4 to 5 and flood is critical...

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
> flood is critical ...
Funny about that. I don't use any flood at all. I don't even have flood. Too messy, too expensive, not needed.
But I do use air blast and MQL. That works very well.

Cheers
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 08:45:44 PM »
It depends....Most important thing is that, I work the machine in an office where it hasn't installed compressor,also, my spindle is too noisy when it is at high revolution. This method works for me under these parameters and, frankly , i know many people adopt other methods.....During the learning period of my cutting work, i did mostly on aluminium, many milling cutters were broken because of lack of proper coolant. Today, i can use one piece for a longer period of time. This is a tutorial fee i paid for...

White color milky type coolant works well in carrying chips and heat away the cutter especially in doing micro type millings.
Right, much installation is needed at the early stage, building srroundings to collect coolant, filtering, re-circulation for re-using the collected coolant. In long terms, it is cheaper....

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 10:19:37 PM »
Hi Ray
many milling cutters were broken because of lack of proper coolant.
Not entirely. Many milling cutters are broken on aluminium due to Built-Up-Edge. To be sure, BUE can be reduced by coolant, but it is actually mainly caused (imho) by the Al alloy you are cutting. If it is a 1000- series or a 5000- series alloy - chewing gum! That stuff sticks to the cutters like mad.

Air blast prevents recutting existing chips: a better finish. Pulsed MQL keeps the cutter wet so the metal does not stick. Selection of a machinable alloy though makes all things magic.

Cheers

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »
The only way the buildup occurs is because of heat and the  melting point of that particular aluminum.  Too fast RPM for the feedspeed causes a great deal of rubbing(heat)  .  Dull tools or wrong tool form creates heat. 

Just a thought, (;-)TP