Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:32:00 AM

Author Topic: Threading  (Read 11604 times)

Threading
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »
I made head patterns for a 1914 Indian V twin and poured them in cast iron. The front and rear heads have a different exhaust port angle and take a 1 3/8" x 24 adaptor for the exhaust pipe. I used lost foam to cast fixture plates to hold the castings at the correct angle and then used a .375" thread cutter to cut the threads. The test plug was turned to the thread of an original head and sized out at 1.360" so I cut the new threads to 1.365 and it accepted the plug nicely.

This head had some cold shuts from a bobble, but it is nice soft cast iron. I started to bore with a boring head on the manual mill, but left it undersize so the center could be established on the CNC mill.

I transferred the head and fixture to the CNC and used a .3125" cutter to clean the bore using the thread wizard. Then I used the same wizard to thread the bore using three passes since it was a first time for me. Here it is with the test plug.

And here with the test plug in ready for the exhaust guide threads to be cut with a tap.

If you think you can't do it, you're right.
Re: Threading
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
As mentioned above this was a first with the thread wizard and since I wanted right hand threads I highlighted CW movement, but when I ran the program it went CCW. I changed the direction and cut the threads but do not know if I set up wrong or if there is a bug. It wouldn't seem normal to cut the threads from the bottom out.
I sized the cutter to be able to cut the 5/8" x 24  for the exhaust guide, but I was able to get a tap in that extra fine thread. A 3/4" cutter is probably called for, but would this thread  normally be cut in a single operation?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
Very nice Eugene, always happy to see you post your adventures.
My friend has an Indian collection. Working on 3 - 1916 models right now, getting ready for the cannonball in Sept.
Will you be making these to sell ?
Might be able to send some business you way .....

Continue the fantastic work my friend.
Kind regards,
Russ
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Thread milling is often done from the bottom up. That way you aren't machining down into a pile of chips.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 11:55:03 PM »
Thanks Russ, these are for the Century Cannonball. I hope to have some to sell and plan on traveling in support of team #39.

Garyhlucas, that makes sense with a blind hole, so the choice is given for climb or conventional milling.

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
Very nice! I'd like to try this one day. Questions, Mach 3 or 4? What software is generating your wizard?
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »
I am running Mach3 and used the NFS wizards for this job. With some of my other projects I have had good results using the wizards written and made available from the user base.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »
The last operation was the spark plug hole and thread so I made up a lost foam pattern, poured it and then used the bolt circle wizard to drill for the studs and then the circular groove program with a ballnose mill to size the bosses. This allows the head to be held at the 21 deg angle for the plug opening.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
I threaded the spark plug hole, but had to chase it with a tap. The SAE standard for an 18 mm spark plug hole is 18.039 mm min. major diameter so a go guage is probably in order for that operation. The spark plug bottoms in the intake tower seat of the pocket, so even a bottoming tap is restricted from cutting full reach threads.

Russ, I think the 1916 Indians were different, but I would like to talk to other Cannonball crews. Thanks.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:53:54 PM »
I would like to combine the three angular slots into a single program. They were created individually in Newfangled Wizard, but require closing and then reopening for each subsequent slot. Any thoughts?