Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:59:45 PM

Author Topic: Taig Mill Questions  (Read 3534 times)

Re: Taig Mill Questions
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »
Hi Gary,
What drivers are you using? Cheap ones don't work as well as good ones.

Unless he is using high quality stepper drives with mid range antiresonance or whatever it is called it will be very hard to get his motors to run 1500rpm while moving a machine and all the accel and deccel that entails. My guess and it is only a guess is that the 48 volts is way too low for his motors. The only way to tell would be to know what his inductance is.

Questions that need to be asked are;
1. what version of Mach is he running? 066 is not recommended.
2. what resolution are the drives set to? Anything beyond 10 microsteps is overkill. 200 steps/rev x 10microsteps x 20 tpi = 40k steps/inch.  way overkill on a Taig.
3. What is the motor inductance in mh? This way we can determine the proper voltage.
4. What is the acceleration set to. Too much accell is the easy way to loose steps.
5. If there is a setting for BC speed, what is it set to? since the problem is mostly with BC enabled, try cutting it in half of what it is set too.

More to come as I think of it.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
Hi,
   I've recently posted about having issues with the inline fuse in the control box on my taig mill. After trying slow blow fuses in place of regular fuses, I have eliminated my problem of the fuse blowing in this place. ;D
Now, I am having issues with the main 2a fuse. I have discovered after trying different things that the main 2a fuse only blows when any of the stepper motors are plugged into the x-axis port on the machine. The x, y, and z stepper motors can be plugged into either the z or y axis and work properly, but once you plug a motor into the x axis the main fuse instantly blows. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this could be?
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »
Hi,
sounds like the X axis stepper driver is faulty. At a guess it sounds like the current sense PWM has gone faulty and the full voltage of the supply is being
applied to the stepper WITHOUT the moderation of controlled PWM. That'll pop a fuse for sure!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'