Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 02:06:53 AM

Author Topic: Skeleton Clock  (Read 12740 times)

Skeleton Clock
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
I found these plans on the net but it was designed to be made in wood. I had to re-engineer it for metal which meant mechanical fasteners instead of glue. All the more fun. I've been able to make everything except for the base which is too long for my little Sherline 2000 mill.

More projects and photo's:
http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/cnc-index.htm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:46:50 PM by David Morrow »
David Morrow

ynneb

Re: Skeleton Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:00:17 AM »
I really am quite envious.
You have done exceptionally well.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:07:25 PM »
Very Good David. ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »
BUMP.
Looks like Davids been making projects without showing and telling us here at Mach land. Shameful!
Good looking stuff there David. I especially like the engine turned stuff.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:52:21 AM »
Hi David,

I agree with Sam.

You have made some wonderful stuff there and detailed how to make it  - You are a bad lad for not posting pictures sooner.

Regards, Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
Big 'lump 'o coal' goes in your stocking.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »
Nice designs
Great job show us more
Randy
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:14:53 AM »
Nice designs
Great job show us more
Randy

This one is still in progress; it should be finished by Thursday. When I finished the design, I wasn't sure if I really liked it or not.

It's called Roger's Clock - for my younger brother who also plays with a little bit of CNC stuff and appreciates all the effort. It's a little birthday / Christmas present for him for his desk at work. Sshhhh, don't tell him...

http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/rogersclock/rogersclock.htm
David Morrow

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 01:16:42 AM »
That's just beyond cool.  How did you polish the aluminum? Sand to 1000 or so and put a buff wheel+compound to it?
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 02:25:15 AM »
That's just beyond cool.  How did you polish the aluminum? Sand to 1000 or so and put a buff wheel+compound to it?

Wet sand with 220 and then 320 and then some heavy polishing with tripoli and then buff with white on a soft wheel. A good bit of pressure with the tripoli is quite good at reducing the mill marks if they're not too heavy. It also is good at taking the sharp edges off. I now give part an edge polishing before wet sanding to get rid of the sharp edges. My poor cut to ribbon hands thank me now when I do that. Also some good rubber gloves help. I use to sand beyond 320 but not so much these days. I will likely go up to 600 on this one since it's a gift. Not much time involved.
David Morrow