Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:15:51 PM

Author Topic: Thoughts on "Cloud" based CAD/CAM  (Read 9517 times)

Re: Thoughts on "Cloud" based CAD/CAM
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »

When I get home, I'll take a look and post some more info on saving and export formats.

..and the "work offline" part if you don't mind.
I'll watch for it, THANKS
 :)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »
I'm there with you RC. Lots of questions and prefer to get my answers from those I know instead of the salesmen I don't know. Thanks Gerry!

I despise the thoughts of the cloud too TP but will have to see where it all goes I guess. The only thing more consistent than gravity is change.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »
As of last year, you could work offline for two weeks at a time, but I think they've changed it. It'll take some digging to find the answer, but there's an option to set how many days to cache for Offline mode, and I set it to 99 and it seems to work??

You can export Iges, SAT, STEP, SMT, and Fusion 360 f3d files.
You can also export drawings as .dwg files.

There are a LOT of people using Fusion 360. The CAM is supposed to be pretty good, as it's based on HSM Works. Development is constant, with lots of updates and features added all the time. Some things still have a ways to go, but it's a really powerful package, that most people can use for free.

Personally, I don't think it will remain free forever, but $25/month (if paid annually) is still a pretty good deal. A fraction of what most people pay for their cell phones.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html