Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 07:58:37 AM

Author Topic: Thoughts on "Cloud" based CAD/CAM  (Read 9546 times)

Thoughts on "Cloud" based CAD/CAM
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
Looking at Fusion 360 from Autodesk.
I'm new to "cloud" based in general.
Seems all your work is out there in the wild blue yonder, you can't do any work unless "connected" ? ?
The whole program is in the cloud ... not on the PC ?
How secure can that be ?  
I went through a few tuts and F360 looks really neat to use, I just don't like the cloud deal. ... for some reason  ::)
They do list advantages like always the best versions/updates, fantastic for "group" work, work from anywhere with any device ....et al,   but I wonder about disadvantages that might lurk unmentioned.

Thanks for any insight.
HNY,
Russ
 :)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on "Cloud" based CAD/CAM
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
I am NOT an advocate of cloud anything for the most part. BUT here is an interesting thought  .  Do you keep all your money at home next to your PC ?? or Do you keep it in a bank somewhere and are never SURE where it really is physicaly ??

The cloud is just another money scheme and with it it is trying to amass a huge power base. WHICH should never be allowed to happen.

High security applications are NEVER allowed to use them for a very good reason. ONCE that data leaves your hands you have ZERO control over it. It could land up in the hands of whom you are trying to keep it secure from. OR even YOU could loose the ability to access your own Data. Then what ya gonna do slap their hands and call them a bad boy ?? TOO LATE LEROY the horse is out of the barn And you have no idea where he went.

(;-) TP

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
Only issue I would have with it is the dsl or faster internet connection required. Half the time I'm happy if I have power not a reliable internet connection. If I can't work offline it is on no use to me.
Don
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »
Thanks guys,
same sentiments here. I don't need nobody snoopin round my new flux cap. design.
I have to pay a premium for moderate speed internet here too and can see that getting out of hand.
ISP's are making a killin' on this I bet.
Not like I NEED it badly, just hobby stuff and trying to keep up just a little bit.

Thanks again,
Russ

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
Like it or not, cloud based is the future. Get on board, or get left behind.

I've been using Fusion 360 for a while now. I haven't used the CAM yet, though. Just learning the CAD part. Once you learn all the little tricks, it's pretty cool.

You can work "offline" for either 15 or 30 days at a time. You can also save a local copy of your work, so you don't have to worry about losing it.

I think that the program resides on your PC, and only the files get saved to the cloud. It's just as fast on my PC as any other CAM I've ever used. There's just a slight delay when saving files (few seconds). I do have a fast internet connection, though.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:30:15 PM »
Interesting. It didn't state that in their specs. I have Internet at the house but my shop doesn't. Right know if I can't put it on a flash drive to update, I put the cpu out of the mill and bring it to the house to update. That gets old.
Don

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
There have been MANY new "The future" claimed in the last hundred years or so. ALL were based on profits or power  for someone.  Most are not still around (;-) But don't worry there will be a new FUTURE pop up any day now.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
Most are not still around

But you're using the ones that are. ;)
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »

I've been using Fusion 360 for a while now. I haven't used the CAM yet, though. Just learning the CAD part. Once you learn all the little tricks, it's pretty cool.

You can work "offline" for either 15 or 30 days at a time. You can also save a local copy of your work, so you don't have to worry about losing it.

I think that the program resides on your PC, and only the files get saved to the cloud. It's just as fast on my PC as any other CAM I've ever used. There's just a slight delay when saving files (few seconds). I do have a fast internet connection, though.

Good to see someone using it, thanks Gerry !
I didn't see the work offline part or the save local copy part either .. interesting.
Might try the freebe for a spell. I didn't see any restrictions .... do you know of any ?
Cool too, you don't really buy it, just sort of lease access ? ? ? by the mo. or year.

:)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »
All of Autodesk 's products are now subscription based. (Like Adobe).
When I get home, I'll take a look and post some more info on saving and export formats.

Last year that had a special for the Ultimate version (which may not exist any longer) for $300/yr, for life. I signed up then.
A few months later, they rolled all the ultimate features into the standard version. Because of this, I get next year for free.
Gerry

2010 Screenset