Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:19:20 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 - ESS - Charge Pump confusion  (Read 5487 times)

Mach4 - ESS - Charge Pump confusion
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »
Hello,

i use Mach3 since more than 4 Years, everything fine.
I try to use Mach4 since 2 Years, confusion...

Well, the main thing is i use two breakout boards with the ESS.

My router has 5 Motors, and one HF-Spindle.
I use the motors like shown:

Motor 0 = X(1)     -> Board 1
Motor 1 = Y       -> Board 1
Motor 2 = Z       -> Board 1
Motor 3 = X(2) -> Board 1

Motor 4 = A      -> Board 2
Motor 5 = C (Tool Changer) -> Board 2

In Mach3 i configured my system like follows:

I use "Charge Pump Signal" because if i do not i have trouble.
What is the trouble?
Well, testing without "Charge Pump" looked like this:
After powering up the machine the relays on the board were on (enable).
That causes that the valve for coolant began to run.
The valve for opening the tool-changer opened.
After activating the Software on the PC all Output switched in normal position.

If i use "Charge Pump" i do not have this problem.

So now begins the confusion:
In Mach4, depending on the screen you have the possibility to use "Charge Pump" or not.
If you create a new, own screen, the place where "Charge Pump" is, is named "Reserved 1" and "Reserved 2"
If you use an existing screen, there is "Charge Pump".

The second thing is, in the ESS-Configuration there is only one "Charge Pump" available.
There is no way to get a second one.

If i configure the ESS and assign the "Charge Pump" to 1|16 i can enable one board.
I can move the axis, but here is the next problem....Axis with slave will crash mach4, so i tried out without slave.

The question is, why are there MACH4 profiles with "Charge Pump" and why not?
The next question is, why is in ESS-Configuration only one "Charge Pump"?

Clear, only what in ESS-Configuration is assigned first can be used in MACH4 Output/Input.

I also tried out:
Manual editing the "Machine.ini"
Assigning the 1|16 also to 2|16, but that will not work.

I saw this here also: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,30635.0.html

In Germany we say: "Good wheel is expensive now"... probably you have an similar thing for this  ;D ;D ;D

best regards,

Gerhard

Re: Mach4 - ESS - Charge Pump confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:18:15 PM »
Several things:

(1) As of Mach4 build 2803, any *NEW* profile created by Mach4 will have the "Charge Pump #1" and "Charge Pump #2" output signals renamed to "Reserved #1" and "Reserved #2".  Any *EXISTING* profiles (ones created with Mach4 builds prior to 2803) that you open and/or edit will retain the old "Charge Pump" signal names.  Note that COPYING a profile will not change the "Charge Pump" signal names *IF* they existed in the profile from which you made the copy.

(2) Apparently, the PMDX SmartBOB devices were the only ones that paid any attention to the assignments of the "Charge Pump" signal assignments in the Mach configure "Output Signals" tab.  From what I've been told (and seen) all other plug-ins handle the charge pump assignment only through the plug-in specific configuration dialog.

(3) I cannot say whether the ESS supports multiple charge pump signals.  That is a question for the ESS folks.

(4) What break-out boards are you using?  It may be possible to have the charge pump signal go into one of the breakout boards, and use some kind of enable signal from the first board to the second board.  The PMDX breakout boards have this ability.

Bob

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »
you don't need the charge pump with the ESS, M4 it's a option. in the ESS you can give a output or a input a name the charge pump where it has custom name put a c1, then on a output for the second board give it a custom name c2, then in the mach output map assign c1 and c2 to Reserved 1" and "Reserved 2. all else fails ask on the ESS forum Andy may be able to come up with a fix, or Daz or I may just post this there know.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 02:35:39 AM »
Hi Gerhard,

The solution is coming soon.  The next Mach4 ESS plugin will give you the ability to assign up to three pins to one signal.  This will most often be used for the Charge Pump, since the ESS has three Parallel Ports.  You could have up to 3 independent breakout boards connected to the ESS, and each one could need a Charge Pump signal to enable it.  Mach4 doesn't know anything about Charge Pumps, which is why Steve Murphree removed it.  It is up to the plugin to implement it.  Another use for assigning multiple pins to one signal is to drive different polarities of the same signal.  For example, Output #1 could drive one pin as Active High, and another pin as Active Low.  This will not be used as often, but some people might find a use for it.  And of course another possible use is to make wiring easier if one signal needs to go to multiple destinations.

I've made a lot of changes to the configuration and I'm getting close to having it compile again.

Greg

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:57:50 AM »
Hey Greg,

thank you for your answer.

Glad to hear this, i allready tought i become crazy!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »
Meanwhile i disabled all setting on the bob respect the charge pump.
this is the only option to get two bob work.

Now i can move all axis assigned.