Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:25:08 PM

Author Topic: Holes resulting with ovality  (Read 3550 times)

Holes resulting with ovality
« on: December 26, 2015, 05:04:00 AM »
Hi Guys, I been experiencing some problems lately with "deformed" cutting paths and have replaced one of the encoders, as I thought it might have got dirty or something. Now I have made a trial run by cutting 9 holes on a matrix of 3 x 3 and diameter of 15 mm but am not happy with the results. Following measurements, an ovality it resulting, measuring at one position I get 14.78mm and 15.21mm in perpendicular position. Could it be that I need to lower the motor speed in the "motor tuning ans setup" dialog or maybe recalibrating the ball screws?
Has anyone ever came across such a situation, any advise?
Thanks
Marting
Re: Holes resulting with ovality
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »
Hi Guys, I been experiencing some problems lately with "deformed" cutting paths and have replaced one of the encoders

It's more likely to be your calibration than speed, what happens if you drill a square pattern of holes?
With the mention of encoders along with no other machine information you've lost me.
If you've posted full machine details somewhere else a link or pasted text would save folk from going hunting for it in order to read up in an effort to help,
Regards,
Nick
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
Hi Magicniner,
I've further run some test cuts to verify the source of problem by elimination. It seems that the encoder wasn't defective after all and it results that I've got a teeny weeny problem of squareness between the X and Y axis. After having cut a rectangle (570mm x 450mm) and measured the diagonals, I found a difference of approx 0.3mm. At first I wasn't quite sure but after having simulated the same situation on CAD it shows that this little difference could indeed produce the results I've experienced :o. I'll be trying to rectify this next Monday and will post the results. Thanks for the support.
Marting
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:23 PM »
Hi there again, I have re-calibrated the squareness / perpendicularity between the X and Y axis and are now spot on. Following that I executed many tests and with different approaches but still with same results. I am now suspecting that it may be a Mach3 software issue, as I had it upgraded from version R3.038 to R3.043.066 about 5 months ago and that other than that nothing else has changed. I am also attached are photos showing what is happening maybe some here may have an idea why these deformation indicated by arrows are occuring.
Thanks
Marting
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »
That looks exactly like the problem I had which turned out to be backlash, have you checked X for backlash with a DTI?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »
That looks exactly like the problem I had which turned out to be backlash, have you checked X for backlash with a DTI?

I have to agree. If it isn't backlash and/or flex I would be  :o
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:38:56 AM »
Good morning Guys, further to my anquiries it results you were both right, it was backlash. I have restted the ball nut and all is up and running again.
Thanks Guys Marting

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
 :) Glad you got it sorted.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!