Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:20:40 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 vs Mach 4  (Read 23043 times)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 vs Mach 4
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
yer I was going well with my last xp computer to it got dropped 14 years old, everything is on 10 now it's as good as XP was, it's a good move if you have no choices in the matter other wise stay where you are XP is just ok with M4 as long as you don't have a nvidia GPU.

I am waiting for you boys to says it good as gold before I move to M4

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 04:00:15 AM »
The only computer I have that is NOT XP is my laptop (Win7).

Everything else is XP:

Kids computer
All my cnc computers (using parallel ports both integrated and PCI)
Office computer
Workshop computer

I've noticed these updates periodically popping up when they're not supposed to be happening anymore LOL

Keith
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
I'm with Blockhead.  I'm going to wait to use Mach 4 whenever these guys on the forum say its working very well.  The only issue I'm having with Mach 3 is the amount of Input and I'm going to try using a PLC via TCP Modbus to fix that issue for now.  I have to say I am excited for Mach 4 to be more "User Friendly".  Just waiting for the next update for the ESS!!
Chad Byrd

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
With a Pokeys ethernet unit you should have all the inputs you need as long as it is NOT fast I/0 that you need.  They have a plugin ready to go.

(;-) TP
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
I don't particularly like using the pokeys for input.  I had some serious noise issues with the pokey while retrofitting a Johnford VMC one time.  As far as output goes, the pokey works wonderful.  Just a littler cautious about the input. 
Chad Byrd
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
ESS?

more I/O's than you can shake a stick at?

Edit: ... or UC 300 .... and others

Apologies to the original poster.... we seem to have gone a bit off topic.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 03:52:46 PM »
thanks for your input so far.

I definitely think there is a strong tendency using mach 3, especially for productive "environment".

I'll continue reading if someone has some (more) input   :)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
best thing to do work out what you wont now and in ten years time, then you get the board that can do all of what you want plus some, also ethernet is better than USB if the environment you are in is nosiey lots of rf and emf.
pokeys are on top of every update to M4 they seem to always be the first out the gate, plus there is more than one controller that can be run with pokeys
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 11:58:14 PM »
I know it's a bit late to weigh in on this, but I found myself in the same quandary a year ago when I was putting my CNC machine together. I ended up settling on Mach4 for a couple of reasons:
1. Testing with the Mach4 demo proved that it could do everything I wanted it to and I saw it as the more "future proof" investment to make. I actually thought Mach4 responded to GUI interaction (ie Jogging button presses, stop etc...) better than Mach3 too, but i did not qualify that in any way.
2. Mach4 has more modern scripting available to the user. I'm not a huge fan of lua scripting, but I like it a whole lot more than VB.

I know I'm muddying the water here by going against the grain, but I'm happy with Mach4. My only complaint, as you pointed out in the original post, is that it is taking a long time for the community to develop things like ATC scripts for Mach4. But I think that will change as the user base increases.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 01:43:00 AM »
Hi,
I go with mkullman, Mach4 does everything I need in a mill and I have added features I need. LUA was a bit of a hurdle, but getting there
and it is INCOMPARABLY better than CE. Just my opinion of course.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'