Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:30:42 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Migration from XP-32 to Win7-64  (Read 4224 times)

Mach 3 Migration from XP-32 to Win7-64
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »
I have a problem I hope someone can help me with.

System: for 4 years I have been running:
  • Windows XP 32-bit
  • Gecko G540
  • USB Smooth Stepper
  • Mach 3 with lots of scripts

About a year ago I attempted an upgrade to a new machine.
  • Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • SSD Storage
  • Gecko G540
  • USB Smooth Stepper
  • Mach 3 with lots of scripts

For the most part, everything works. Except that the spindle crashes into my deck occasionally. I assumed that the problem was an incompatibility with 64-bit.

Well now hard drive crashed on my Windows XP 32-bit system. My most recent plan has been to upgrade to the ESS (network) Smooth Stepper and Mach 4. Converting my VB scripts to LUA is going to be a much larger project than anticipated. I now want to stay with Mach 3 for a while longer.

Do you think my assessment of a 64-bit compatible is accurate?
Was the old version of Mach 3 incompatible with 64-bit?
Do you think using the  ESS (network) Smooth Stepper and downloading the newest Mach 3 will work on my 64-bit system?

Tom

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 Migration from XP-32 to Win7-64
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
Any luck on this? I had Windows 7x64 ultimate OS and am building a CNC. I figured I would try Mach 3 first as everyone seems to use this.

I got the ESS from warp 9 and it is communicating but I cannot move the stepper motors. I am not sure what to troubleshoot as this is my first build and I am a noob. But I don't have the magic happening at the stepper motors yet.

I am going to attempt to use Mach 4 in a little bit on W7x64.
Re: Mach 3 Migration from XP-32 to Win7-64
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »
I finally gave up on the upgrade.
After buying a SmoothStepper ESS (Ethernet) and Mach 4 and setting up Windows 7 x64.
I was unable to find a transition guide for Mach 3 to 4 and unable to get it to work.
Now I have a slightly newer computer with an SSD running XP-32, Mach 3 with my old SmoothStepper USS (USB).
All is working fine. Perhaps I can get 5 years out of this configuration.
By then I hope it will be easier to run an x64 OS CNC system.