Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:02:17 AM

Author Topic: ENC threading module setup for ridgid tapping  (Read 7240 times)

ENC threading module setup for ridgid tapping
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm back with another question. I'm installing an encoder on my matsuura mc500v so I can do rigid tapping, but Its looking like I need to install the encoder directly on the spindle rather than the spindle motor. The spindle motor has a belt drive and I think the reduction is 2 to 1 from the motor to the spindle. There is a perfect spot on the spindle motor where the 20 mm shaft pokes out of the top where an encoder could be mounted. Attaching an encoder to the spindle rather than the motor would be a retrofit nightmare. The drawbar at the top of the spindle prevents an encoder from being mounted there and to mount it anywhere else would require me to pull the thing apart and remove the bearings. This is not an option. In the ENC manual it states that the encoder must be mounted such that it reads 1 to 1 to the spindle.  Why is there no way to configure the enc module for a reduction drive? This seems pretty intuitive. Thanks for any and all help.
Re: ENC threading module setup for ridgid tapping
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:12:56 PM »
Hello Jonathon,
  Have you considered a "Smart" encoder with programmable resolution ?
Mount it wherever you like.
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
I am not sure how rigid tapping would behave with the Index pulse being more than once per rev but may be worth a try if you can set things up quickly.
I do know I did threading on the lathe for quite a while using the encoder from the motor with reduction, I am not sure however if I used the output from the servo drive with a division equal to the gearing or not.

Any pics of the drawbar setup?

Hood
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, Hood. I purchased the hardware earlier to make a pulley drive between the motor shaft and a 1/4 in ch shaft that the encoder will mount to. Its a 10k cpr encoder though, so I'm a little worried about play in the 1/4 inch shaft. Any thoughts?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »
IF the motor to spindle ratio is 2:1 then gear the encoder off the motor shaft at 2:1  Then the encoder will turn at Spindle RPM , 1:1

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
Well, I know its been forever, but I finally machined up a mount for the encoder on the spindle. I have the encoder talking with the enc threading module and the read-out is accurate. However, when I try and program in M84 Mach freezes in the 'toolpath generation' window and crashes. I have installed their macro and their g code file. On one the few occasions I was able to cancel out of the toolpaths generation window was able to press run and but the program kept running but wouldn't move past the M84 line. I turned the spindle by hand and the Z axis moved accordingly.

I have the spindle set up on a VFD. I hope thats not a problem.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
Config menu then General Config, 3rd column and you will see Ignore M Codes while Loading, choose that option and it should solve your problem.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:05 PM »
 Thanks hood. That took care of the loading problem. Unfortunately I've run into another problem. When I run your code for the M84 operation the program runs down to the m84 line and then stops. The spindle does not turn. The program runtime continues for a few seconds and them mach just freezes. I wondering if the threading program depends on the spindle being under control of the IPA.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:41 PM »
The spindle will need to be switched On/Off by Mach/IP-A, is yours not?

Hood
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 05:18:19 PM »
No. I have an AD dl06 running the spindle so I can run the tool change. I have a brain that outputs via modbus the command speed, on off command and the forward and reverse to registers on the dl06.