Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:52:05 AM

Author Topic: Carving in reverse  (Read 2019 times)

Carving in reverse
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »
I have just run my second test carve (used a marker & paper)  to carve/write the word "Test".  My carving is backwards and the letters are pretty much over top of each other.  Any suggestions on what's going on.  Am a complete novice.  We do not use switches - everything homes ok (home is set to left of table all the way back)- we jog out away from home to a random area on our workspace - zero the axis, then select regen tool path.  Have pic but don't know how to add it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Carving in reverse
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 05:47:07 AM »
The usual convention for X0 ,Y0 is at the left hand corner nearest to you.

Assuming your horizontal axis is the X axis then if you go to Config. / Ports & Pins / Motor Outputs then change the Direction Low Active state for the X axis that will correct your letters being in reverse.

As for the letters being on top of one another - that could be lost steps, try reducing your Velocity and Acceleration settings by 50% (in Motor Tuning) for the X and Y axis, save the changes and report back on the result.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
We will try your suggestions.  I just talked w/my husband and he agrees X axis is probably wrong.  Hopefully working on it this evening.  Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »
We reversed the direction of the X axis and changed home position, then we reduced steps, velocity and acceleration and IT WORKED!  We did three tries w/different settings just to see what happened.  The third came out the best.  How do you determine when you are at optimum settings...like, with each reduction in steps/velocity/acceleration the  letters got closer together.  Our test was only with a marker clamped in - no router yet....but we could read it.  Thanks.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 01:27:22 AM »
I am pleased you have it working.  :)

The Velocity and Acceleration figures are arrived at by 'trial & error'.
Just one axis at a time, increase Velocity until the axis starts to stall (shift + arrow key - fast jogging) then reduce the figure by 30%. Repeat for each axis and do a similar thing with Acceleration.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
Thank you Tweakie, your assistance is appreciated!