Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:00:35 AM

Author Topic: Need help converting .png to gcode  (Read 7964 times)

Need help converting .png to gcode
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »
I am trying to make a small series of holes in thin plastic. I have the design I want but I'm struggling to understand how to convert it to gcode.

It's using a 0.1mm drill bit, to a depth of 1mm and approx 50 holes need to be drilled in one part, which is repeated 8 times per sheet of plastic.

If anyone can take the .png or .psd and send me the gcode needed to make it in Mach3 I'd be willing to pay for their help!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Need help converting .png to gcode
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:59 AM »
Hi Jackkk,

Welcome to the forum.

I am certain there are lots of folks here only to willing to help and I don't think any of them would charge you for their assistance.

Either post your .png here or click on the envelope (below Superkitty) and email it to me and I will see what I can do (unless someone else beats me to it  :) )

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:21:13 AM »
Thanks, I Sent you the download link to the file. I thought I was technically inclined but I've spent all day on this and so far have managed practically squat lol.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
A .png file is really the wrong format for this. .png files are raster images, consisting of pixels. Unless the file contains dpi info, there's no real size information in a .png. And even if there were, the resolution of the image file can affect the accuracy. Note that's it's impossible to draw a round hole in a raster image, which is made of of square pixels.

No, if your file is an image of a drawing with dimensions, then that's different.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:25:28 AM »
I have to admit defeat on this one as I am unable to easily generate a drill file from the .png - perhaps someone else can give it a try ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
A .png file is really the wrong format for this. .png files are raster images, consisting of pixels. Unless the file contains dpi info, there's no real size information in a .png. And even if there were, the resolution of the image file can affect the accuracy. Note that's it's impossible to draw a round hole in a raster image, which is made of of square pixels.

No, if your file is an image of a drawing with dimensions, then that's different.

Hmm I also have it in .psd

I have a lot more reading to do

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »
COnvert it to a PDF then import teh PDF into cad. OR use Inkscape to do a raster to vestor conversion. BUT in both case you need to double check your geometry and positions.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:28:41 AM »
Converting to pdf won't do any good, as it will be a raster .pdf.
You really need to use a vector drawing program, and not Photoshop.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
Can you import it into a CAD programme and trace around it?

www.ebolt.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
Sometimes you need to use something other than your favorite hammer. This is one of those times. Get yourself a copy of CamBam with 40 uses for free. Draw your part, create a G-code file, machine your part, done!