Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:49:06 AM

Author Topic: Help with Tool Change Script for Large VMC with Umbrella Style Tool Changer.  (Read 4163 times)

Hello , New to the Board and Mach4 , several years in Machining . Acquired and Old Fadal 6030 VMC . I'm retrofitting with MACH4 and Vital System DSPMC/IP.
It is working very well . But I need help with Scripts and Macros , to damn old to learn. The Machine has a 23 Tool Changer , Umbrella Style . I need to interface it to the
Control. I would be willing to pay for the development.   Thanks All.

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
A bit more info would be helpfull.

Daz
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
I use to the programming for one of those back when they were new!  It was tough loading large tools because the distance from the tool load button to the spindle was just about both arms stretched out straight. Hope you fix that issue.
Hey Daz , can you tell me what info you need and I'll post it up. I'd really appreciate some help with this !
I've contacted MM and poppabear , and they are unable to help right now .
Do I need to use a PLC for this ?
Thanks

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
as a norm the tool change script will go in the macro folder as m6,

what moves the carousel at moment ie is it set up as an axis
does it need homing to know where it is

pm if its easier

Daz
 Daz , the carousel is driven by a Geneva wheel , the counter is a Hall sensor on the motor that counts the rotation of the motor. One Pulse for 1 tool position .
The motor is just a ac gearmotor with a contactor. The slide moves to the Spindle with a reversible ac gearmotor and belt drive. It has 2 Hall Sensors, one for
extended and one for retracted. The drawbar on the spindle is air actuated , by a solenoid .

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
Pm`d ya

Daz
It would be helpful if you resolve this to post the results.  It would help all of us in learning the issues , approach and LUA commands that are needed. 

Thanks

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
That's a good point, let's all join in as a community and build this.

DazTheGas
The Z axis on that machine is used to remove the tool in unison with the drawbar solenoid, by rising off the tool after the carousel grabs it. Then the carousel rotates to the new tool and the z axis drops down on it. So the machine must be homed to properly position the z.  Fadal did this really simple. You always parked the z between the marks on the column before shutting down. Then the machine would rotate the z motor to find the index mark on its encoder. So you will need to do something similar I believe. Hope this helps.