Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:03:17 AM

Author Topic: CSMIO/IP-A plugin with win10 ok?  (Read 6840 times)

CSMIO/IP-A plugin with win10 ok?
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:31:17 AM »
Microsoft nagware on the PC that runs my mill via Mach3 and CSMIO/IP-A keeps asking if I want windows 10... Any CSMIO folks done this? Other thought or concerns regarding Win10 in general?

Thanks!
Mike

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: CSMIO/IP-A plugin with win10 ok?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 01:58:14 AM »
Hi Mike,

I think the long-term problems we are going to encounter with Win10 is with it’s updates which can only be deferred and not disabled.
I have just gone through the Win10 1511 / 10586 rebuild and as previously suspected Windows will replace 3rd party software with it’s own and without notification. In my case it was nothing serious, just my SoundMax integrated digital, but it proved the point. Whilst my machine PC is not permanently connected it does get the occasional dose of wi-fi for downloading later versions of Mach4 etc. and that’s when the trouble begins.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
Thanks Tweak,

I think I understand the issues surrounding automatic updates... I was hopeful Microsoft would allow for a "critical updates only" option. In my case I'm using a Dell machine running Win7 pro 64bit that's about an vanilla as they come. I'll have a look at the device manager and check to see if I have any non Microsoft drivers. I actually prefer the Microsoft supplied drivers in most cases... Are you using Win 10 with the CSMIO/IP plugin?

Thanks!
Mike

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »
Hi Mike,

No, not the CSMIO - I am using the ESS (just for Mach4 evaluation etc.).

Another interesting issue (that was reported by Jeff on the Warp9 forum) is that a Win10 update changed a peripheral ID which in turn changed the PC ID and thus negated the current license file. I am not sure exactly how this could happen but it's perhaps early days yet and we will just have to wait and see what transpires with Win10.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Ugg, just too many unknowns right now to take the Win10 plunge on the CNC mill... I have enough on my plate without adding computer headaches to the mix so I think I'll stay on the Win10 sidelines. Thanks!

Mike

P.S. Your tagline pretty much describes my entire journey into CNC machining  :D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:14 AM »
P.S. Your tagline pretty much describes my entire journey into CNC machining 

Me too  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 01:40:08 PM »
The best cure for this is to remove update KB3035583 and then untick the 'Give me recommended updates' under change settings.  No more nagging until Microsoft force everybody onto there latest pay as you go scheme.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 02:21:59 AM »
The best cure for this is to remove update KB3035583 and then untick the 'Give me recommended updates' under change settings.  No more nagging until Microsoft force everybody onto there latest pay as you go scheme.

Perhaps not all versions of Win10 are the same.
Removing an update does work but I wonder how long it will be before Microsoft puts it back ?
I can defer updates but as Microsoft says it makes little overall difference.

"Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available".

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »

Perhaps not all versions of Win10 are the same.
Tweakie.

No, the Pro and Enterprise versions let you pass on updates.

On my design PC, I'm holding off on updating until the last minute for the free upgrades. I like windows 8.1
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html