Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:57:32 AM

Author Topic: Milling Is Off Center  (Read 11761 times)

Re: Milling Is Off Center
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
What about all the other stuff? (Encoders and mpg, 2nd parallel port, OEM triggers etc)

Not using encoders, mpg or 2nd (close loop) parallel port have to check OEM triggers

Are you able to measure the leadscrew pitch... Are the ballscrews or threaded rod?... Number doesn't look right to me as far as steps per inch

I am not sure if I cna measure lead screw pitch or how to do it...  They are called ballscrews but it is a thread rod on each side running up the machine....

Have you got access to the stepper drives, can you see any dipswitch settings?

Yes.. I have been in the electronics , I will have to check again as I was in for a fuse but took a brief look at the stepper drives...

With all that said...  the reducing Accel and Velocity did make a big difference in the problem by cutting them in half... It is just running slightly off now...

The machine is a Romaxx WD-1  I attached a pic

Thanks for all the help!  I am using the machine for certain things, but for other things I need it to be precise I cannot use it...
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »
Damn, that is a nice machine, and very well documented too!

http://romaxxcncrouters.com/romaxx-cnc-router-wd-1
http://romaxxcncrouters.com/cnc-downloads

I guess the most obvious thing to check is are you using one parallel port or two?

Forget about the ballscrews, I'd say they have got it right (considering the good construction quality of the machine).

The break Out Board Schematic for the machine is here:
http://romaxxcnc.com/boencboschematics.html
Port 1 / Pin 1 - Output Relay 1
Port 1 / Pin 2 - X Step
Port 1 / Pin 3 - Y Step
Port 1 / Pin 4 - Z Step
Port 1 / Pin 5 - A Step
Port 1 / Pin 6 - X DIR
Port 1 / Pin 7 - Y DIR
Port 1 / Pin 8 - Z DIR
Port 1 / Pin 9 - A DIR
Port 1 / Pin 10 - not denoted, but presume E-Stop!  (it is referenced in the zipped XML file download (link below + text file within)
Port 1 / Pin 11 - Cycle Start (button on front plate)
Port 1 / Pin 12 - Feed Hold (button on front plate)
Port 1 / Pin 13 - A Channel [MPG?]
Port 1 / Pin 14 - Output 2 Relay
Port 1 / Pin 15 - B Channel [MPG?]
Port 1 / Pin 16 - Output 3 Relay
Port 1 / Pin 17 - Output 4 Relay (Actually The Charge Pump Circuit!.... see text file in XML setup / zipped folder!)

Presume no encoders so ignore port 2 pins.

Their XML setup files are here: http://www.romaxxcnc.com/RomaxxCDplusplusB.zip

Attached is an XML file I edited looking at what the manufacturers wiring diagrams and following a read of their text files.

>>> I normally do not edit XML files for people in case everything goes horribly wrong and we are all responsible for our own actions!!!!<<<<
Use this XML file at your own risk!

I would suggest jogging the machine to a central location (1/2 way in all directions X, Y and Z), then load the XML file into Mach 3, by reloading Mach3 using the "Mach3 Loader" option,  whilst having your E-Stop depressed on the machine.

Have a look at the XML file and try to understand what I've done (you have a nice machine, and I'd hate to break it!
All the step and direction signals are as per the manufacturers schematic (link above) as are all the inputs and outputs.
I've got rid of all the duplications and port 2 references (as I presumed you have no encoders on the machine... other than maybe the MPG and the run and stop buttons on the front of it). edit: read your comment later... read my suggestion below about limit switches + a probe input! (taken a little while to write and edit the xml file...)
I have also programmed in the Run and Stop Buttons to the appropriate OEM Trigger Input pins and set up the corresponding OEM Button Codes.  (on the system hotkeys menu)
I've also been through the config screen and setup the lookahead, the initialisation script (it will set you maximum feedrate to be correct to align with the manufacturers max velocity).
I've also setup the step and direction pulse widths to "reasonable" / common numbers (think of them as teeth on a cog.... the bigger they are the better they are seen by your stepper drives [up to a point!])... you have zero in here before and I suspect that this along with the lookahead was probably your problem, and maybe the ports and pins being shared.
I've also set the machine to go into E-stop at programme end on the config screen (or M30 or rewind).... I find it helpful.... just press the reset and you can re-run the code.... it ensures that the machine won't do anything strange at the end of the cut.

One thing that does concern me about your machine.... no limit switches or homing switches or even a touch off probe for setting the tool offset / length following a tool change ..... (think the manufacturer missed that one sorry... not very good in my opinion [personally])

I have removed the encoders (except for the MPG.... and did not change its settings as I presume the manufacturer put the settings in correctly).>>>> In hindsight.... I saw your comment on your last post... not using MPG.... if It were me.... I'd use one of the inputs and put some homing and limit switches on the machine and a touch off probe for offset (see my other comment.... if you want help setting these up just ask).

And I changed the kernel speed to 25kHz (your steppers are only running at slightly less than 16kHz... you don't need any more than that).

If you have not done so already, I'd check you are using the right version of Mach3 which seems to be generally accepted to be version ... 062 and not 066.... available for download from here: ftp://machsupport.com/Mach3/

Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 11:29:28 PM »
Wow Rob..

Thanks so much for all of that and the great information! 

The 2nd Parellel port is for the addition of a Closed Loop which I did not add (yet)  it can be added at a latter  date...

The unit also has 2 standard outlets for dust collection and the router...

The MPG can also be added later and even the 4th axis (but the machine has to go back to him for that)

I actually did want to get the touch plate and was wondering how to go about it.. How difficult would it be to do?  I am okay with learning things but am very knew to all this and a bit lost..

I can't thank you enough for all the help!

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 02:32:56 AM »
No problem, glad to be able to help.

You may consider sending an email back to the manufacturer and showing them this link / discussion.   They obviously spent a lot of time developing the machine and putting together the total package, including their XML file, and I'm happy to have a discussion with them about the changes to the XML file and provide pointers as to why I looked at it that way (at the end of the day I'm just a passer by with a keen interest in cnc and have a couple of personal cnc machines now... going to convert my other mills and lathe to cnc too).   I was just really baffled why they'd doubled up on some of the pin refs, and also the OEM Trig was done another way (could have a brains or macropump to do the same thing as well....

If it were me... I'd add a touchplate and combined home limit switches (two input pins required)..... and I'd use the MPG pins on the breakout board to provide them.   In my opinion you don't need an MPG fixed to the machine.... I'd buy a Contour Shuttle Pro (either new / via ebay)... I have one personally and they are great work with M3 + M4 and all buttons are fully programmable.... you will wonder what you did before it?  (you could also build a custom keyboard with hotkey buttons / keyboard emulation or buy a VistaCNC pendant too.

Limit switches... I thought I'd never need them.... until I had a machine crash when it was running unattended doing a probing routine .... I was lucky that it was not using ballscrews but a timing belt drive (4'x4' plasma table)....  Fitted them shortly afterward.... never a problem again and I use them to home and square the axis too  (I have a slaved motor which your manufacture has well avoided).

Probe... all you need is a ground clamp and a Bob Input Pin from the bob on crocodile clips with a bit of single sided PCB ..... basically Bob Input pin to the top side of the PCB... and crocodile clip gnd to the tool.... .... need to set up the probe input on the ports and pins within Mach3 inputs....

4th axis will not be difficult.... you just need a 4th axis + stepper motor + driver and some means for the 4th axis to be driven by the stepper motor (I use a HV6 rotary table with the plasma and an adapter).

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 04:11:45 AM »
well the problem is solved!  Everything you did worked and ran great!

I can't thank you enough.. I really do want to add the touch plate really bad...

What parts do I need to get started with that and how difficult for a newbie would it be?

I love the WD-1 and the help and support has been great... I will let him know that the problem is fixed and send him the thread...

I am not sure about your questions as to why he did certain things certain ways.. I do know he has the second port set up and ready for a closed loop upgrade, I just could not afford it.. I actually broke the bank on this (first )cnc...

I was going to get a cheap China made one but was worried about starting out without support (boy was I right)

Me and my wife are thrilled this thing is running perfect and can't thank you for all your help enough..

I owe you dinner and beer anytime!

Also thanks to Tweakie for aiming me in the right position...

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 04:26:21 AM »
Pleased you have it sorted  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 02:27:13 AM »
Hi Guys

I am very new to the forum and CNC scene so please bear with me..
I am having a similar issue wit my machine (3 Axis router) I do not know much about coding.
I am using Mastercam X9 and MACH3 to host my machine
I am getting this error when posting the G code ??
I dont know if this could be related to my machine starting of fine and then slowly as it moves on the it starts to cut skew as if the ZERO mark is moving. Just the X axis does this.
The machine hase 2 what looks like Chines stepper driver and one gecko drive tis is the x Axis one and it gets hot, I made a heat sink for it to absorb some of the heat but this did not solve my problem, I am sure that the problem must be in the code.
I have checked mechanical stuff like backlash etc.
when in mastercam the operation looks fine.

26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Report created.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Initialize posting log file
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Using MP run version 18.00 and post components version 18.00
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Initiate opening the post processor file(s).
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - C:\USERS\PUBLIC\DOCUMENTS\SHARED MCAMX9\ROUTER\POSTS\MASTERCAM_MACH3B.PST
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - The post processor file has been successfully opened.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Post version information (input):
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - UPDATEPOST Version 18. was used to modify this file.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - The file was modified by this product on 26 Jan 2016 09:15:18
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - The post was written to run with Mastercam Version 18.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - The post product type is Router.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Initialization of pre-defined post variables, strings, postblocks was successful.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:08 PM - Search for defined post variables, strings, postblocks was successful.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - PST LINE (2653) - The formula/boolean failed (general message)    <----------------------------------------- Problem Huh??
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'ltol$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'met_ltol$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'maxrad$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'atol$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'error_msg$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'err_file$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'maxnccomment$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'dec_seq_left$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'tplanemode$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'breakarcs$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'breakarcsxz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'breakarcsyz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lbreakarcs$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lbreakarcsxz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lbreakarcsyz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'helix_arc$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lhelix_arc$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'do_full_arc$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'do_full_arcxz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'do_full_arcyz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'ldo_full_arc$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'ldo_full_arcxz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'ldo_full_arcyz$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'arccheck$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'larccheck$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'rotfeed4$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'rotfeed5$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lrotfeed4$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lrotfeed5$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'peckacel$' was re-initialized from 0. to 0.
26 Jan 2016 01:16:16 PM - Successful completion of posting process!

I dont know what to do!! maybe someone can show me in the right direction ??
any help would be appreciated.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 02:34:19 AM »
Not got a clue about the code... Are you using the right post-processor from matercam to mach3?

For the stepper motor getting hot that is probably a current setting or wiring issue or failed drive

How about posting you XML profile file (give it a unique name)... And provide info on your stepper motors, their drive settings etc.... Photos .... More info is better than none
Rob

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 03:15:22 AM »
yes stepper motors are getting very hot, thought that would be because they are working a lot but it is really hot, can not keep my hand on it for more that 5-10 seconds? what XML file ?
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 03:52:00 AM »
Steppers, like any motor can run warm to hot.

"Hot" has a lot of range in it and it is very subjective.

My hot to touch may be different to yours.

I'd suggest checking all of the settings are correct and in line with data sheets.

The profile XML file is where all your machine settings are saved.

Go to the C:\mach3\ folder, sort by filetype

Scroll down the bottom... XML files and there should be one that matches the profile your machine is running with.

If you are unsure, start mach3, and when the screen loads, normally in the bottom RHS there will be a text box with the profile name in it.... Your XML file will have the same name

Rob