Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:52:14 AM

Author Topic: Axis motors spinning but no movement in router/spindle  (Read 5230 times)

Axis motors spinning but no movement in router/spindle
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:49:19 PM »
I'm sure this is asked frequently, I tried to do some quick searching but due to a time restraint I just figured I would ask it.

I recently received a CNC machine (3020T 4 Axis I believe) and set it up. I originally could not install the Mach 3 provided on the disk so I downloaded the current demo and am using that. My end goal is doing perforations in various materials so if anyone knows of a better program let me know.

Back to it, I downloaded the demo offline, set it up, and hooked everything up. I set up the machine (native unites, ports and pins, and motor tuning) within Mach 3 and then went to test movement and etc as directed by the instructions I was provided.

When using the directional keys, the units change within Mach 3, the motor tops/heads/gears? spin (one sounds a little hoarse compared to the other 2) but yet the router/spindle does not move. When I adjust the X axis position (left right keys) it moves left and right just barely but almost seems locked.

I check the connections and parallel port connection along with the port # set up and etc. I don't know how to determine if the parallel port is a addon or if it is factory/to the mother board (read this could be an issue) but I am certain it is a motherboard. My desktop is running XP of course and when I initially installed Mach 3 I tried the driver test and it was showing fine.

If anyone could help me that would be awesome! Let me know if I need to provide some more information to fix this issue. Also if you think there is a better program for doing perforations let me know (current design built in PS, don't know if that will work with these).
Re: Axis motors spinning but no movement in router/spindle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 04:08:41 AM »
When I adjust the X axis position (left right keys) it moves left and right just barely but almost seems locked.

If the axis movement distance shown in the DRO doesn't match the physical movement then you need to adjust your motor tuning steps per unit movement to correct this

I don't know how to determine if the parallel port is a addon or if it is factory/to the mother board (read this could be an issue)

That's not really relevant, it's an age and manufacturer thing, both on board and aftermarket PPs can be 3v or 5v, if you know your CNC system needs a 5v signal and you adjust your motor tuning and still can't get repeatable movement you may have to investigate the port signal voltage

- Nick

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 04:45:33 AM »
I assume your CNC uses steppers. You may be simply tryin g to rev the motors too fast.
Try reducing the maximum speed by a factor of 10.
Also reduce the acceleration by a factor of 10.

If that works, start tuning - slowly.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
When I adjust the X axis position (left right keys) it moves left and right just barely but almost seems locked.

If the axis movement distance shown in the DRO doesn't match the physical movement then you need to adjust your motor tuning steps per unit movement to correct this

I don't know how to determine if the parallel port is a addon or if it is factory/to the mother board (read this could be an issue)

That's not really relevant, it's an age and manufacturer thing, both on board and aftermarket PPs can be 3v or 5v, if you know your CNC system needs a 5v signal and you adjust your motor tuning and still can't get repeatable movement you may have to investigate the port signal voltage

- Nick

I adjusted the motor tuning as specified by the manufacturer. I can't get anymore movement. The tops of the motors (gear looking caps) spin and the silver inside spins but there is no movement in the actual piece. I can power on the spindle and turn it so that isn't the issue it's just about getting the router or whatever the hell it's called to move as I control it's postion with the x, y, z.

I assume your CNC uses steppers. You may be simply tryin g to rev the motors too fast.
Try reducing the maximum speed by a factor of 10.
Also reduce the acceleration by a factor of 10.

If that works, start tuning - slowly.

Cheers
Roger

By steppers I assume you mean cable chain?
I already set the settings required/specified by the manufacturer so that shouldn't be the issue...?
I see in the configuration where it says acceleration but where it max speed listed?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
Here are two replies I received on another forum and figured I would post them here so you guys can see what others suggested.

I'm a little confused, are you saying you can't get the spindle to turn on? If so, follow basic electrical procedure number one: does it have power, does it have ground, is everything connected?

As for the axis movement, in Mach 3 hold shift when you jog with the arrow keys. That triggers continuous movement. If that doesn't solve the x axis issue you mentioned, make sure that mechanically everything is sound. Power down the machine and try to move the axis by hand by manually moving the belt/leadscrew/whatever drive method the axis has.

If you still can't get it, take a short video so we can get an idea of where you're going wrong. Good luck!

My reply : I can get the spindle to turn on (spindle power button on and slowly increase max speed). Everything is connected, when I use the arrow keys to control the x, y, z axis I have the issues. The coordinates change within mach 3 and the caps (gear looking tops) on each motor spin but nothing actually moves... Hope that makes sense.

I tried to hold shift while maneuvering the arrows kids and no change. I also tried to manually move the damn thing and could not.

This is the machine I am referencing http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81fVOrhCUZL._SY355_.jpg

Let me know what else you need to assist with my issues.

If the motor spins but the screw doesn't turn it sounds like you have a problem with your connection between the stepper motor shaft and the screw. These commonly come with a two part shaft coupler. The coupler is fixed to the shaft with a set screw. Make sure the set screw is tight and the coupler isn't rotating freely.

My reply : What "screw" are you referring to?

As for "steppers" I assume you mean the cable chain?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:02:09 PM by jvictor49 »
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:21:35 PM »
UPDATE : I am a dumb ass and did not tighten the screws the set the connection between the coupler. The machine is now moving as I adjust the axis coordinates.

Now I just need to learn how to take my perforation design from PS and run it in Mach 3.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Good news! Happy perforating.