Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:49:25 AM

Author Topic: Need help to make a dialogue on Mach4 exit so my ATC doesn't drop tools  (Read 2989 times)

I'm hoping someone here might be interested to help advise how to create a dialogue box, or even just edit the "are you sure you want to quit" dialogue box to remind operators to check the ATC status and be prepared to catch the tool that's about to be dropped upon exit from Mach4.

I'm really liking Mach4 a lot more than Mach3 and solving these little issues will make a big difference in the shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leo

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to make a dialogue on Mach4 exit so my ATC doesn't drop tools
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
Why would a tool be dropped if Mach is closed? Sounds like maybe the problem is the default state of whatever is holding the tool.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
That's a really good point.

This is my first ATC-equipped machine and I put it together myself.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if I've got things completely backwards.

The way I've got it set up has the spindle dropping the tool holder as soon as power to the ATC solenoid is off, which happens as soon as I shut down Mach4.

I was assuming that holding on to the tool requires constant air pressure from my compressor, but am I mistaken about that?  I don't want to have to leave my compressor running when I'm not using the CNC router.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:54:55 PM by Durero »
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
Normally tools in a CNC machine with a tool changer are retained by spring pressure
holding some locking mechanism in place. The air is used to compress the spring
and release the tool.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »
Steve is spot on. Otherwise it makes a potentially dangerous situation. Imagine if you suffered a power outage while the spindle was turning 25,000 RPM ............... YIKES! But this is for most machines, not necessarily all of them. I try to make all things default to the safest state but that is subjective too. One thing that might help is keeping in mind that lock out tag out is usually required before maintenance or any type work is done to a machine which means the main disconnect will be turned off. Also, you can typically insure how and when the power is turned on. You can't always control how or when it is turned off.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
Well I'm glad to have my stupid assumptions rectified!

Thanks to you both for your patient help.

So I must have wired my solenoid backwards and/or routed my output air hose from solenoid to spindle from the wrong outlet of the solenoid?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
So I must have wired my solenoid backwards and/or routed my output air hose from solenoid to spindle from the wrong outlet of the solenoid?

You possibly have some outputs (electrical and/or pneumatic) crossed but I don't know enough about your set up to say for sure. You need to try to figure out exactly how it all works together and make any adjustments based on your findings.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 07:44:39 PM »
I'll work through it carefully.

Just the basic explanation Steve gave changes my whole understanding and I'm sure I'll be able to reconfigure to eliminate the issue.

Thank goodness for dumb questions!  I'd have been running a dangerous setup indeed.

Leo
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »
Update: I had the pneumatic input from the compressor to the solenoid valve in the wrong position.

Switched it with the exhaust position and it now works as it should.  Holds on to the tool no matter if I shut down Mach4, shut down the control box or lose power altogether.

Thanks again for your help!

Leo

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »
 :)