Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:13:50 AM

Author Topic: Control Panel Setup  (Read 6900 times)

Re: Control Panel Setup
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
What would the wiring diagram look like for the encoder? I have an encoder from Adafruit. It also has a push button. There are 2 pins on one side, and three pins on the other side. The data sheet says that the three pins on the same side are "A" on left, Ground in the middle, and "B" on the right. I believe the two pins on the other side are for the switch. I don't see any pins that supply the 5V.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »
Yup that is how it is setup.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 09:06:43 PM »
Not sure what you mean by your last post
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »
Sorry I was reading the post before.... When I typed that... On the page before...

Wiring ... Give me a minute
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »
Rob

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
Does 5v get connected to "A" pin and does the wire that goes to pin for "A" on the db25 as well
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
Yes it is my encoder
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 09:16:44 PM »
If you look at this diagram, you can see that the encoder is what I thought it was .... Just two switches, each one makes and breaks to ground

https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-usb-volume-knob/wiring

So connect a 0v/ ground from your bob to the ground connection

And then connect one pin of your bob to an a and one pin to the b connection exactly the same way your bob manual shows you to wire up a switch.

Rob
Rob

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
Ok but where does the 5v come from?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »
Looking at the encoder manual you are going to have a problem using it:
http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/pec11.pdf

If you look at the first section: electrical charactoristics, current rating = 1mA @ 5V

Looking at your C32 board all of the limit switches and probe inputs have a pullup resistor (basically a resistor that connects between 5V and the connected pin, so that the switch grounds the input pin)
http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C32R5%204_USER_MANUAL.pdf

The problem comes from the input arrangement where (yup this is very common across bobs) the optoisolator input is an LED... and they require a certain current to function which looking at the pullup resistor ratings in your manual is somewhere around:
19mA for the probe input  (5v - ~1.2V) / 200 ohm = 19mA
23mA for a 12V prox input (12v - ~1.2) / 4700 ohm = 23mA
5mA for a 24v prox input (24v - ~1.2v) / 4700 ohm = 5mA

and your encoder is only rated at 1mA...

I cannot tell what chips they have used with the C32 to provide the optoisolated inputs but if you can workout which chips deal with the inputs you can find the datasheets and see what their current requirements are for the LED to operate (there are some high speed switching optoisolators that use very little current too)

Rob

Rob