Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:16:22 AM

Author Topic: Speed of stepper motors  (Read 11124 times)

Re: Speed of stepper motors
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
Thanks for your response!

I have now tried the settings you gave me, but without success...

I aslo get the message that the velocity is too high for the kernel speed, but I can still run the machine.

I tried first at full step, and the axis is moving very slow. When I change to 1/8 it is moving even slower.

It feels like I am missing something super easy here. In the "Jog Tab", the rate is set to 100%, so it should move at full speed.

/ Johanna
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »
Send me your XML file from within your mach3 folder as that is where all your settings are saved.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
I couldnt manage to attach the files here in the forum so I sent you an email!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Option 1.....

200 steps / mm
1200mm/min
20mm/sec/sec (try using a slower acceleration until you get it running right then tune it]

Option 2.....

800 steps / mm
1200mm/min
20mm/sec/sec   (try using a slower acceleration until you get it running right then tune it]

Screenshots attached

You have some more problems.....

You're inputs and outputs screens are all wrong
see the screenshots for comments
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:27:35 PM by robertspark »
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
Outputs screenshot...

Rob

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »
.... also note that the "step pulse" and "direction pulse" have been set to 5 micro (uSec) on the motor tuning page...

You need to get your EStop assigned correctly first.... Then start adding other functions

I'd suggest unchecking all of your other inputs and outputs for the moment until you can get the machine to run and then start finding out what limit switches and outputs are on what pins.

Do not try to get too many things working at once (unless you know what you're doing) or you will end up with many problems at once.

in order to get the machine to move you need to sort out the Estop (on the inputs tab) and you need to define the settings for the stepper motors (ports pins acceleration and velocity etc as well as the pulse widths....

Rob
Rob

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »
Wow, thanks for a good response!!

Now I have it moving at a good speed with the following settings:

X-axis
800 steps per
1200 velocity
40 acc

Y-axis
200 steps per
1200 velocity
20 acc

Z-axis
800 steps per
1200 velocity
40 acc

It moves good, but the axis is not even close to accurate.. When I move the X-axis 5 steps on the computer, it moves 19mm on the table...

I think I don't really understand the relationship between the settings here. The "Distance window" in Mach3, that will also show the koordinates in mm, since we set the whole program in mm, right?

Further on, we unchecked all the outputs and inputs, but we haven't had any problems with using them on these pins...? Or could it affect something else?

Also, what do you mean with the "step pulse" and "directions pulse"? Is 5 micro sec bad or good?

/ Johanna
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »

Also, what do you mean with the "step pulse" and "directions pulse"? Is 5 micro sec bad or good?

Have a look at the attached screenshot of your XML
----------------------------------------------------------
X-axis
800 steps per
1200 velocity
40 acc

Y-axis
200 steps per >>>> all of these settings should be the same for the X and Y Axis so that they can move in tandem at the same speed in constant velocity
1200 velocity
20 acc   >>>> all of these settings should be the same for the X and Y Axis so that they can move in tandem at the same speed in constant velocity

Z-axis
800 steps per
1200 velocity
40 acc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It moves good, but the axis is not even close to accurate.. When I move the X-axis 5 steps on the computer, it moves 19mm on the table...

I think I don't really understand the relationship between the settings here. The "Distance window" in Mach3, that will also show the coordinates in mm, since we set the whole program in mm, right?

How did you tell the machine to move "5 steps"...... did you type in G0 X5 ?

If so... you told the machine to move 5mm not 5 steps....

I would suggest using the "auto calibration" on the "settings" tab.... at the bottom of the screen near the reset button is the axis calibration button (as shown in the screenshot)... click on it, select the axis and tell it how far you want it to move and measure how far it actually move, then input that distance and it will automatically correct tour "steps / mm" setting on the motor tuning page.

Rob
Rob

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
Thank you, now everything works perfectly! :)

Yes I realised soon after I wrote that the X- and Y-axis should have the same settings! To make them accurate in distance I now put their steps per to 801,8, with 1/4 step in the motors.

I am now going to change the input pins for the limit switches. Why can't I use pin 0-4 for the switches and stops as I do now and it is working just fine?

/ Johanna
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »
Why can't I use pin 0-4 for the switches and stops as I do now and it is working just fine?

I presume you are using a parallel port....??

Some pins are inputs and some pins are outputs... they cannot be both [with the parallel port!.. different with a motion controller].

So you can only use pins 10-13 + 15 as inputs...

All the rest are outputs

You have already assigned pins 2,3,4,5,6 & 7 to your stepper motors direction and step pins...

Presume you have an eStop assigned.... so you only have 4 other input pins you can use.

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_140646897_00/1.0x0.jpg

Rob