Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 02:06:15 AM

Author Topic: Lathe Threading with SS  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Lathe Threading with SS
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:03:15 PM »
Hi Friends

I am looking at using a smoothstepper to replace the 2 PP system on my lathe. The major concern is the problem of threading using the PP system still has some bugs and the spindle must be run manually to work.

Does anyone know if the SS has the same problems or does threading work perfectly with the SS controlling motors and spindle.

My setup uses 570oz/in steppers, 1hp spindle controlled with a VFD, all axis's are ballscrews, but I do use backlash comp on both X and Z of 0.09mm.

Thanks
Cheers
Katoh

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Threading with SS
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »
Fix / reduce the backlash problem.
What bugs are you aware of when using the PP for threading?

Suggest you go to the SS site to get the current info on what it can or can't do.

RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:15:32 AM »
I thing Greg and subsequently Andy have been working on ESS threading for some time now but Mach4 issues keep taking priority.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 02:19:57 AM »
There are some threads on there about threading that would be worth a read

Just search for the word threading but change the search period from 1 year to since the beginning of time...or something to that effect (as there has been a discussion on it from a long time ago)

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »
Gentlemen

Sorry for such a late reply, to answer many questions I have read the the complete thread about threading and the problems associated with mach3 where Rich did a lot of testing and Art did a lot of reprogramming to which there was no conclusion. I find to use/build an NC machine that has to be manually set in critical areas not to be worthwhile especially when you have gone to the trouble of creating an NC machine out-rite.

My question on this thread was if the ss system inherited or had the same problems as the PP setup, to those using the SS  and steppers on the axis's how do you find threading? any problem’s? I just want to know if the SS has any bugs before I convert my system across to it.

I am going to continue this  on the general mach3 forum page with a thread I started earlier. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,31166.0.html

Thanks
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
The thread(s) I was referring to are on the warp9 website forum (the makers of the smooth stepper).
http://www.warp9td.com/

Another alternative open to you (given the expense you are going to) is http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/

They do a controller... And then a separate threading module

I am no expert and cannot vouch for them as I use an Ethernet smooth stepper.

Hope it helps in your search

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”