Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:51:16 PM

Author Topic: Tuning keling motors in Mach3  (Read 9187 times)

Tuning keling motors in Mach3
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:16:10 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here.

I recently purchased three 305 oz. motors, model number KL23H286-20-8B from Keling Inc. They are great motors, and they work very well with my hobby CNC board. However, I am having some problems getting them tuned properly in Mach3. I am running the motors at 24v and 2.0 amps, and they are wired unipolar on a chopper circuit (the hobbycnc board). However, I can't get the motors to turn without going very slowly and choppily, all the while making horrible noises. When I run the motors in EMC linux everything works fine. Maybe someone could recomend the settings for me under the "Motor Tuning" section of the program?

Thanks a ton for your help, I'm a 9th grade student building a CNC machine for a school project.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Tuning keling motors in Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »
Hi, Tybrenis

First thing to try is in motor tuning set the Step & Dir Pulses to 5, Don't forget the Save Settings, (This gives your stepper control more time to see the Pulses sent out by Mach).

If that doesn't help, In Ports & Pins, Motor Outputs set the Dir & Step Low Active to a different State (X to Check or Check to X), By clicking on it, Don't forget the Apply, (Some stepper controls are sensitive to leading and Trailing Edge Pulses).

Steps Per sets # of steps to move 1 unit whether Inch or MM.

Vel. sets Max speed (Try 50 to start, Set it up till it misses steps back it down some till no steps are lost)

Accl. sets rate from dead stop to max Vel speed. (Try 10 to start, Set  it up till it misses steps back it down some till no steps are lost)

Others may have more specific information on your control.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 11:29:56 PM by afn09556 »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:33:13 PM »
Hi, Tybrenis

Did you get it working ?

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the great answer above, however, the motors are still not turning how they should. I got them to the best point that I could, but compared to when I ran them in EMC linux the difference was huge. In EMC they still run great while in mach3 they are still just struggling along. I'm almost at the end of my wits with this program.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:26:26 PM »
You might need to take a look at what else is running in Windows at the time you are trying to run Mach III, there is an optimization how-to on the download page (I think) that will guide you through what to set things to (in Windows) for best results.  I had this problem trying to run a recently with my laptop (which I think was due to qt.exe).  I did a fresh Windows install on another PC (was going to anyhow) and now all is well.

EMC, uses a 'Real-Time' extension on top of Linux which allows it to have a bit more control over timing issues, the price you pay is the added hassle of dealing with the 1000 flavors of Linux, building updates for your system and sometimes dependency hell (which has been getting better in recent years).
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
Hi, Tybrenis

What is your CPU speed, Needs to be above 1000 Mhz for best results.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
Thanks guys,

The CPU is a very capable AMD processor, I believe the clock speed is around 2.2ghz. The computer is very minimalist with only Mach3 and Vcarve installed. lat night I got the motors turning but they were still slow, jerky, and skipping steps. Any more ideas?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »
Hi, Tybrenis

In Ports & pins, Check the Sherline 1/2 Pulse Mode Box, Apply, Retune and see if that help's.

Thanks, Chip