Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:55:02 AM

Author Topic: mcX360 Test Needed  (Read 4423 times)

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
mcX360 Test Needed
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Well I had to make a decision on a few things today and unfortunately I have attached the plugin today as promised, however I have removed all function to axis movement etc until I can test latest version on a live machine instead of the sim, but until I get a new ESS plugin thats not going to happen.

(Although I can say ive been joggin around happily in V2686) but thats no use to you as its been compiled with the latest SDk

So why have I posted it then??  Simple

Just need some feedback as to wether it is loading on other machines,

with the plugin loaded and mach4 started the history should show if it is active or not, this only shows on startup so if your controller is not turned on before you start mach4 it will show as inactive.
I have left a machine enable/disable on the X button and an Estop on the B button.

As this plugin is using Xinput you will need the latest directX on your machine.

As soon as I get machine running I will unlock all the functions.

Thumbsticks and Triggers are proportional.
All buttons can be configured with your own functions within mach4 lua or use internal function.

Any constructive feedback is welcomed.

DazTheGas

New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: mcX360 Test Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »
As this plugin is using Xinput you will need the latest directX on your machine.

Does this mean that it won't work on XP machines? Seems like a lot of Mach4 users are trying to keep using XP.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
Thanks again for posting the xbox360 plugin.  I plan on buying a controller today, but noticed there are a couple of options for this controller - standard wired console controller and wired pc controller. Does the standard wired xbox controller work with your plugin or should I get the pc version of the xbox 360 controller? Thanks for your time.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:21:57 PM »

Does this mean that it won't work on XP machines? Seems like a lot of Mach4 users are trying to keep using XP.

+1 XP... Stand alone PC, one purpose in life stable, drivers all work, what's not to like about XP?  ....directx never crossed my mind as being useful to cnc

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
what's not to like about XP?

It's obsolete and shouldn't be supported with modern software, because if you get a situation like this where the latest DirectX is required, there's a good chance it won't work on XP. Artsoft is jumping through hoops and probably wasting a ton of time and money trying to support 10 year old PC's.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
I am away again till tomorrow night so was a bit of a rush just to put the barebones up, the xinput library used is supposed to cater for all flavours of windows.

I have an old xp machine that I will test over Sunday and sort out exactly what directs is needed, already got message of not working.

The xinput used is 9.1.0

DazTheGas
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
I'm back at my machine sat or Sunday night and will give it a go regardless.

Sorry Gerry, you're in a small group on that one... Progress is progress, but buying something new without nessesity is pointless... For what Mach does I'm sorry I don't see the need... Some would just stick with m3 (oh that's what most seem to be doing... If it ain't broke don't fix it!)

Let's face it in a production environment you need to demonstrate how your new fangled whatever is going to improve the end product or cut down costs, if it's not doing either but increasing potential operating costs (new hardware, software, training and setup downtime and potential early user error downtime related issues) and your product is the same... Your business model needs looking at in a worldwide recession.

Artsoft and I guess us "early" users of m4 need to de showing what it can bring to the table easily... It should be given more prominent space on the forum... And even their own website for dedicated m4 plugins and lua script wiki etc (a muppets guide for people just like me!)

Daz is doing an amazing job, today most learn from YouTube, but artsoft should be doing their own pushing too

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »
I would bet that at least 90% of new Mach3 users in the last 3-4 years are using an OS newer than XP.
Brian has said that their development platform no longer supports XP.

Microsoft no longer supports XP, so why would anyone writing new software try to support XP. It makes no sense at all.
If common sense is in the minority, so be it.

And yes, Daz has done a tremendous amount for Mach4.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »
The tough book I use at work is got an Xp coa on bottom however I installed win7 tablet on it and runs a lot better.??

My main computer is a dell optilex from eBay £90 with the software win7 pro so I can't see why hobbiests don't want to move on, I think software can be developed a lot easier if safety nets for older machines don't have to be implemented.

Just my view.

DazTheGas
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
Point taken, I guess because I have a happy m3 hobby system on an XP system and am dabbling with m4 hence why I put it on there, have an x360 controller (and shuttlexpress... Not m4 supportef) but wondering if pendants are more trouble than they are worth with m4 and if I would be better getting a hanwheel encoder and using an arduino micro to do keyboard emulation...

Thought the point of external motion controllers was to unload some of the load though... So newer faster probably not a vaild reason.

Then again Linux does not seem to suffer from some of the windows overhead seems to suffer from to keep chasing the gaming / graphics driven market (never been able to get my head round it in 20 years now... And my ESS won't work on it)

Funny thing thinking about mach4 (as l read somewhere artsoft had been at it 5 years now), its probably akin to what autodesk did with inventor and it was I believe a money sinker for them in development time and cost when they had other cash cows, hence I believe after that they bought every bit of software they wanted and did not start from the ground up)

Marketing for m4 needs to be more centrestage, following through to the forums too.  Believe art / Brian did some YouTube stuff on brains and other m3 code bits but that side is not being plugged by newfangled so much now.

Rob
Typing with a phone is not good...sorry
Rob