Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:06:37 PM

Author Topic: suddenly will not stop stepping  (Read 3537 times)

suddenly will not stop stepping
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »
I know similar things have been posted and resolved but I can't seem to get any of the solutions to work.

My very much home made three axis router has been running fine; I cut a three hour job on it last week running mach3 via parallel port no problem. But then yesterday it started stepping the y axis any time that it's enabled. The stepping is not smooth it's like there's 50hz interference on the step pin or something. So I switched the last few cables on the machine over to shielded ones and no change. I soldered on a new driver chip for that axis and no change. I hooked up a scope to the incomming signals for parallel port and I can't see steps coming through.

Pulling my hair out here can't figure out how it's happening.

Interestingly if I have the pc off and pull the enable pins up then all the motors are engaged but static not randomly stepping.

Weird that something like this just started happening half way through a job running.

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: suddenly will not stop stepping
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »
If you swap via the cabling to use the X axis does it do the same thing?

RICH
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »
How can I do that? Do I have to cut the p/port cable and cross the wires over then tell mach3 to use different output pins?

Thanks

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »
I think what Rich meant was to swap the motor wiring across between the drivers.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
When I plug a different motor into that output and same result.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:30:50 AM »
I have tried disconnecting all the other inputs/outputs in case something was picking up interference and no change.

At this point I'm fairly confident there must be noise coming through from the control interface; no idea how to tackle that really.

I'm going to get access into where the DB25 cable terminates and hook up a scope there... maybe I will see steps coming through to confirm it's noise or whatever coming from the pc.

Assuming it's coming from the pc maybe just ground that pin as it comes in? I mean it that stops it constantly stepping at least I know where the problem is.

Anything I can do software site to test for this kind of thing?

Thanks again
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
I have switched the motors over and the output pins from mach3 so I have X and Y up and running for 2D projects with manual Z; can't for the life of me figure out what's going on with it.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 01:42:04 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what type of machine controller (stepper driver) are you using ??

Tweakie.
PEACE