Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:58:03 PM

Author Topic: help with hp lap top running cnc controlor  (Read 1872 times)

help with hp lap top running cnc controlor
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
need help have a new hp windows 8 lap top trying to run my mini mill. has a gecko controller.i am using a parallel to a usb port .ho w can I get this to work please?
thanks alex

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: help with hp lap top running cnc controlor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:42:15 AM »
Hi Alex,

Which external motion controller are you using between the laptop and Gecko ??

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:44:00 AM »
Hi Alex

Same question as Tweakie,

There is a problem with some of these USB to parallel converters, especially the cheap ones, in that they are not bidirectional, they do not support EPP or ECP modes.

In this application some of the printer port pins need to be set as inputs rather than outputs, for EM Stops and limits for example.

I have had instances of even some printers not working properly with them. Your best bet would be to use either a PCMCIA card parallel port (check is supports ECP/EPP) or a full blown USB motion controller.

Regards Mark
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »
The Mach3 driver takes over full control of the local parallel port and this is how it can change and read the status of individual pins, the USB to parallel hardware and software creates a local virtual port which Mach3's driver can take over but the hardware and software on the other side of the virtual port is out of sight to and not controlled by Mach3, is designed to read and write full data bytes on the port pins, and doesn't replicate the required pin states and timings needed for CNC
There are PC Card parallel port adapters available which give a PCI parallel port on laptops without one but they aren't cheap and I suspect you'd be better off putting the money into an external motion controller,
Regards,
 - Nick
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:20:40 AM by magicniner »