Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:49 AM

Author Topic: Converting a dyna myte dm3000 cnc lathe to mach  (Read 6516 times)

Converting a dyna myte dm3000 cnc lathe to mach
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:24:04 AM »
Hi everyone! I've followed several sites about doing a similar conversion, and i am slowly building up the confidence to convert mine. I purchased mine about a month ago and was told everything worked. Upon studying its manual I slowly became familiar with how to somewhat set up this machine using its very outdated controller. To my disappointment there was several buttons on the controller that wouldn't work. I have tried a couple different attempts to fix it without any luck so I am now leaning more towards the conversion since I have yet to even play with this machine.
I would like to follow the footsteps of a couple of different guys on those sites as for the electronics they have picked out, however I do have several questions. I've built 3 small benchtop mill and lathes before but only using cheap Chinese steppers/drivers. So far everything is holding up but being as how I've spent a bit of money on this machine alone I'd like to give it decent quality electronics.

I apologize in advance if my questions seem too "newbie" but I just want to be sure I'm on the correct path.

I've copied this from another site from a guy I believe his name was MRM

He wrote what he has purchased:

1. Bardac 1600i
2. G540 Stepper Controller
3. 48V w/ 24V/5V Keling Power Supply
4. C10 bi-directional break-out-board
5. 20A EMI Filter

Here is some of my concerns

Bardac 1600i is what you would use to control the spindle correct? Will I also need some sort of index pulse card to know the spindles location? Also is the bardac literally $600+ or am I seeing things? Why can't we use the original or won't it communicate with mach 3?

The g540 controller seems very popular and nice quality. Will that control both the z and x or will I need to purchase 2 of these?

The power supply seems self explanatory

The c10 break out board. Will it be able to control things like the turret, coolant, limit switches ext... ?

What exactly is a 20a EMI filter?

I've read on some of those posts that someone has a script written for the turret movement in mach 3 so hopefully I can eventually retrieve that as well in the near future if I can get moving on this project.

I'll post some pictures in a couple minutes of its current condition. Thank you to whoever can help me out in this
Re: Converting a dyna myte dm3000 cnc lathe to mach
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
Pic
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
Pics

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
The g540 controller seems very popular and nice quality. Will that control both the z and x or will I need to purchase 2 of these?

Go to the Gecko site to get specific info on the G540. Yes it can control more than one stepper driven axis and think the max amps is 3A per
axis. I don't know what kind of motors you have.

What is the amp rating of that power supply, as I would suggest that you get something with adequate amp rating for three axes so maybe
12A is recommended. Again depends on the motor requirements.

EMI filter, ( Electro Magnetic Interference ) well it depends on where it is located. Assuming it is located upstream of all components than it "filters"
the AC feeding  the controller.

BTW, Not going to look up all the info on that lathe or the components. Posts links to stuff that give info and others will more readily will reply back.

RICH

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »
Thank you greatly rich for the quick response. I do apologize for not including the info. Tonight I will try and gather as much info about the machine and electronics as I can so it will help everyone out. Thanks again
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
Sorry for the long delay, ended up moving my shop a mile up the road. I seem to have things figured out on my little lathe except for one thing. I'm still lost when it comes to this spindle. Here is the specs

SEM MT30 U4-48, Serial#H10062
 Max RPM 3000, Volts 140, Pulse Amps 57
 Cont Stall Torque 4.5 Nm, Insul F
 Tacho 7V per 1000 rpm
 Brake- Supply 110 vac F90-1059

I did however find a dead forum where someone has claimed to use a dg4s-16035 dc positioning servo drive. 160v 35a 80VDC max without braking circuit. He paired it with a brkc-180 braking circuit. This is the first time I've ever tried to cnc a spindle so any help will do.

If you need some more information on parts of my machine ill be happy to get it for you.