Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:42:46 PM

Author Topic: Motors driving willy nilly  (Read 13757 times)

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
Re: Motors driving willy nilly
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »
No joy on the grounding of the shield wires.
I used the brass bar at the rear to act as a grounding buss bar. I then used some of this shielding braid as grounding wire. Attached terminals to one end and gator clips to the other. All shields are grounded to the driver case, computer case and welding cart its all sitting on. I even shielded the ribbon cable that goes to the step/dir led's and also tried it with that disconnected.
I think it will require some more head scratching.  ;)
Lee

Hood

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »
I know you have swapped drives about but have you tried swapping the actual wiring, ie take the connector from the Z and place it on the X.
 Also might be worth trying moving the wiring on the breakout for each axis.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 04:06:25 PM »
I can't remember if it has been mentioned before or not. Have you tuned your Geckos? Also, what is your debounce set at?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »
Thanks Guys.
I have turned the pots on the gecko's to the limit in both directions with no real effect. I have set the debounce all the way up to 2000 and still get the same results. The computer I am using is running at 45000 freq. and is pretty stable.

I haven't switched out the drive wiring yet. I have considered it, but these are all just short new straight pieces of wire running from either the BOB or the fuses.
I was thinking my next step might be to pull everything out of this case and spread it out. Use some longer wires for everything and see if that doesn't help.
It just has to be something simple. Thanks again. I will follow up with my results.
Lee

Hood

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »
I was not meaning changing the wires, I was actually meaning just unplugging from say the Z Gecko and placing the plug on the X gecko and vice versa. This will let you know if its motor or wire problems as the problem will swap.
Hood

Hood

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »
another thing, have a look and see that enhanced pulseing is enabled.

Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »
Ah. I think you mean the blue plugs? I haven't actually swapped those out between drives, but I have mounted each of the drives where the Z is on the far right and they all function well in that position. All three motors work great and as they should when plugged into anu drive in the Z location as well. This is telling me that it has got to be noise of some kind.
I have been focusing on the rear of the cabinet. I have 62 volts coming into the front of the cabinet and all of that up to the fuses are raw. That is to say unshielded. These terminals are also right in front of one of the two drives, so perhaps thats where it lays.

One thing I have noticed is on the Diag. page, when I first click on it just after I have started Mach, my input pins all light up. They slowly go out , but not all of them. This is with no inputs even connected. I did have an estop setup, but I disconnected that while I'm sorting this out.
I am wondering if this might be the charge pump? Also, I can't actually disable the Estop switch in the config. I just removed the pin and port numbers, but the green check mark stays on. I find that odd. Possible bug?
I tried to capture the diag page, but things go a little crazy when I try that.

Enhanced pulsing is enabled. I think I have tried both ways.

This is version R2.0.065
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 07:12:01 PM by Leeway »
Lee

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 07:37:12 PM »
I upgraded to the .069 version and all my leds on the diag page go out or they don't even come on. Even with both ports enabled. Port 1 state doesn't even light up. It still jogs the motors okay, so not sure what is up there. If I is a clue, I don't know what it means.  ;)
Lee

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »
Now I have something new that it hasn't done before. Both the X and Y motors turn poorly when I hit an X jog arrow key.
Sound noisey?
I narrowed this down to the el cheapo silicon keyboard.
I used the jog screen and that didn't happen, but I still get the bidirectinal movement.
I think I just need to break it all out of this case and setup with new wires on a table or bench.
I am not really satisfied with the banana terminals for the voltages through the case. They function okay, but not ideal. They are exposed inside.
What are some of the other type of through panel connections that are used?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:08:53 PM by Leeway »
Lee

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
I haven't had time to tear this apart yet, but I did try something else.
I don't think I have tried this before, but anyway, here goes.
In Mach, I swapped the pin numbers. When I run any of the three drives on pin 6 and 7, which was the good operating Z, they all run good. Thats not even changing any wiring. That is just swapping pin numbers in Mach.
I even wired one drive into the A axis and tried that with the same poor result.
Is this sounding like a port problem now?
Lee