Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:54:29 AM

Author Topic: Using machine PC to run other stuff  (Read 7011 times)

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Using machine PC to run other stuff
« on: November 10, 2005, 12:46:46 AM »
Hello, I haven't as yet run this software on my new CNC router (Haven't actually taken delivery yet) but it looks like it will be nice stuff. A question I have is, what other software might possibly have conflicts to it, I use some average and higher end CAD stuff, and is it advisable to run it while the Mach3 software is actually controlling the CNC? How about software that loads icons on the right side of the Windows toolbar, this is typically programs that are running in the background, should I try to not have any of those programs on this machine? PC is an XP1900, 256 meg RAM, ATI 64 meg video card running two monitors, one is a touchscreen on the CNC.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 07:50:16 AM by ynneb »
Re: Using machine PC to run other stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:19:07 AM »

Don't know but today I ran Mach3 + Corel 9 + AutoCad 2005 on a PC P4 1.5MHZ with 51K PC 133 Ram.
No problems.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 05:58:09 AM »
If you can help it try to run just mach 3 when you are cutting parts :)
I don't know about you but I can't risk scraping my parts...

Thank you
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:57:34 PM »
I minimize Mach3 and run Bobcad on the same PC. I never run anything while MAch is open and running. Never had any issues doing that. My son once when I wasn't paying attention was playing solitaire while the machine was running, it didn't effect the machine any. Definitely not something one should do.

Ron
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:55:42 AM »

Yeah I keep forgetting. Ran a cut today again with WinWord and a bunch a stuff loaded in memory.
Right now my work is purely experimental so it is good to see a couple of worst case or if not just less than ideal conditions.

Already my choice of computer system is less than what I wanted because my main system's motherboard got toasted.
That is following on the heels of my Dell Latitude burn up which came on the back of my first Xylotex Controller flaming out.

I am three months behind on the learning curve, haven't read the manual yet but at least I am comfortable that I can draw, cut and most importantly have an almost bullet-proof cam to run a very fine micro mill.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 05:40:14 PM »
If possible I woundn't run other software either, but sometimes you get behind and have to do it. Has anyone actually had a machine running and had other software make the control falter or have any actual trouble that they are sure was caused by the two overloading the PC?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 01:26:06 PM »
I run Mach3 and have real player going and the only problem is that very occasionally real player pauses for a fraction of a second.
 This is on my slow 1.4 Ghz Pentium 3 shop computer.

Louis
"There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
brute strength and ignorance"
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 02:05:31 AM »

I wouldn't run Real Player with anything....In fact I wouldn't run Real Player....!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 11:24:10 AM »

I wouldn't run Real Player with anything....In fact I wouldn't run Real Player....!

Agree there.

I run other programs on mine but don't actively use them while running CNC.  At one time I was surfing the web while running a part and had a machine blip.  Stopped doing that.

I do keep other programs open just don't use them while Mach is going.