Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:16:15 AM

Author Topic: Sheetcam + Mach3 for 3D  (Read 5147 times)

Sheetcam + Mach3 for 3D
« on: October 07, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Can you do the following with sheetcam and Mach3 mill?  I can see cutting the round OD but would need a move in Z to get that tapered lip.  Any idea?  My experience is limited. 

[/URL]
Re: Sheetcam + Mach3 for 3D
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:18:10 AM »
I suspect it won't work....

1) best to ask on the sheetcam forum as Les Newell (the creator) does frequent his own forum a lot.

2) sheetcam is 2.5D machining .... so you can cut the outside / inside of the object (2D) ... and you can also cut the relief (height of the object at different depths) [the 0.5 bit]

What you have there requires a rotating axis... and although sheetcam does have a plugin for rotary pipe / tube cutting it is not a turning function / 4th axis function ... what you need there is either a lathe (more likely as you need the hole in the object .... unless you are buying it as a tube or have some other way to make the hole in the bar stock .... ) or a 4th axis to rotate your pipe and machine the flange lip on the end and then machine your flange

But someone else may know better  (still suggest ask on the sheetcam forum)

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
I spent some more time and it looks like Mach3 can do this on its own.  I used the thread milling wizard to create the helical interpolation.  The cut down diameter can be the minimum thread diameter and the angle can be converted to TPI. Using a standard end mill, a right had thread and left hand thread can be cut.  The cuts start at the bottom so the low points should match.  It looks good running in air.  
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »
Surprisingly, i did find this earlier in the day

http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=21949#21949
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”