Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:42:47 PM

Author Topic: PC thrown a wobbly?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Jacko

•  42 42
    • View Profile
PC thrown a wobbly?
« on: September 30, 2015, 03:08:37 AM »
Any suggestions please?
I have been using my home made cnc lathe with Mach 3 for a number of years perfectly.
The pc stopped working and couldn't be repaired.  I found another Vista Pc and had XP installed on it and also the hard drive from the original broken one put into the new one.
Now Mach 3 runs but  the lathe doesn't ie the motors now dont work.
Any ideas please
Many thanks
Jacko.
Re: PC thrown a wobbly?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:45:42 AM »
It could be that your new PC has a Parallel port with 3.3v logic which won't run your BOB.
Older PCs had 5v PPs, newer ones have 3.3v but there are PP boards that run 5v which you can fit to a newer PC,

- Nick
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:52:26 AM »
Check your port address is correct in the new computer.

Offline Jacko

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
i have looked in "Device manager" and there is ECP LPT1 showing and the range is is set to 0378-037F. It says that it is working normally. In port settings it is set to "Never use an interupt".  However when i run a program with Mach 3 and stick a volt meter on pin 3 which is to move the x axis I think ( and all the pins for that matter ) I am not getting any reading at all.  Presumably I should see 3.5 or 5 volts once in a while.

Offline Jacko

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »
Further clues ? ............... when I go into config I can access all the sub tabs except motor tuning.  Just nothing appears on the screen when i try to access it.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
Further clues ? ............... when I go into config I can access all the sub tabs except motor tuning.  Just nothing appears on the screen when i try to access it.

Sounds like you do not have the parallel port driver installed. This can be installed by running the DriverTest.exe (Mach folder).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
Further clues ? ............... when I go into config I can access all the sub tabs except motor tuning.  Just nothing appears on the screen when i try to access it.

That happened to me once. Save your XML file and reload Mach3.

Ray

Offline Jacko

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:35:35 AM »
Double clicked the driver test icon but nothing happened and so followed your suggestion Ray and all is now well.  Hooray !!
many thanks one and all
Jacko